mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:41 pm 

Lol. You guys sound like me and my other conservative/libertarian friends moaning about the debased culture of this or that. And I know most of you don't lean my way politically :) I suppose Robert Conquest's first law applies "Everyone is conservative about what he knows best."

And I agree, most athletes (or any public figure, really) today are a bunch of know-nothing twits who feel entitled to respect well beyond their accomplishments. They all stand on the shoulders of men and women greater, more talented, more accomplished and more humble and who faced way more adversity than just about any of them, all why crying about how their modern first world problems are just so insurmountable.

One of the main exceptions being hockey players. Being here in Boston, hockey is huge and the Bruins have toughness built into the team culture. Some the greatest examples. A few years ago the best player on the team, Patrice Bergeron, played the last couple of playoff games with a punctured lung(!) along with a laundry list of other dings and nicks. Zdeno Chara, a defenseman and the team captain, broke his nose in the first period of a game, and was back on the ice taped up and with a face cage for the third period. And probably the greatest example, Gregory Campbell, a fourth line guy (so no superstar) had his leg broken by a slap shot during a penalty kill and after a few seconds on the ice got up made a play on the puck and skated off the ice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h15m87WsCHQ All for less money and glory than any of these other gussied up peacocks who play at being tough or deserving of our adulation and deference.

/rant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:59 pm 

Called in to our local kart track one afternoon last year, and the seeds of what is being discussed here are sown and blossoming, I've never seen so much pampering of these little darlings, who, when not driving their karts, seemed to be stamping their feet about "whatever" and screaming obscenities at their doting XXXXXX parents.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 pm 

Here's the final lap from the Chicagoland Speedway event, 2nd July. I watched in amazement at this last Monday. Just imagine the fallout if this happened if F1. The governing body wouldn't know who to penalise, the crowd would be booing their heads off, and the drivers would be slinging the helmets and gloves on the ground like little kids.

Larson acknowledged Busch on the slow down lap saying what a great race. The crowd weren't to happy, but then I don't think Kyle Busch is to popular with the fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgQffp9l5w

NASCAR can be roundy roundy, and a bit daft with yellows being shown all the time, but at least there are no stupid penalties applied during or after the races, what you see is what you get.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 pm 

nimbusprint wrote:
Called in to our local kart track one afternoon last year, and the seeds of what is being discussed here are sown and blossoming, I've never seen so much pampering of these little darlings, who, when not driving their karts, seemed to be stamping their feet about "whatever" and screaming obscenities at their doting XXXXXX parents.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

A mate of mine and I once dropped into the kart circuit at the Nurburgring, probably 2003 now. So we jump into a kart each and off we go. About 20 karts buzzing round, mostly teenage lads, and I won. Yes, I forced my way past the lad in front, but he was in my way. It's a race, is it not?

The kid had a proper sulk and his parents gave me the evil eye. But I slept well that night, so tough shit. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm 

I am not going to name names but this concerns two F1 drivers. One of them retired immediately after he had won the world championship, the other is still racing. They were both invited to a Christmas bash put on by their team. One stayed for a long time and mixed in with everyone, the other turned up late and was surrounded by body guards all the time he was there. I am not saying any more.

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 pm 

The Dutch Kid is going to head butt anyone who asks him "again" about his crashes.. then he will give the Finger to anyone who just asks him about his further crashes.. his incidents & damage to that car which will cost very serious money .. the F1 front wing that alone will cost circa £100k+... but its Ok because that revolting drink ( a tin drink that has killed kids who drink too much of it! ) can just pay out again because they need to waist off that drinks massive profits.
The F1 is a circus business with most top F1 Teams having circa 1500 + employees just to build & run 2 x Cars... the F1 industry at the Top End is awash with Money, yet the minnows struggle.. back in the day Bernie was open hostile in public to Minardy and Team Members & determined to kill that team off .. disgusting in my view, you would have thought he would be glad to get another team on the grid.. but no.. it seems F1 take pleasure is destroying teams that struggle, so when will it be goodbye to Williams or is it to be Hello Porsche ( Porsche need to be in some form of race championship now the VW thing has subsided ? )
Silverstone is loosing money x £2m last year paying to host F1 .. next year could be the last race F1 @ Silverstone unless the rights holder wants to change the Silvertsone ever inflating Bernie contract.
Forget its Sport .. F1 Its all about Money .. it will sink & quite soon starting from the next Concord agreement... meantime Ross is raking in more Millions $.
Last item Alonso will also kill off Mclaren.. i wish Honda well they are good people with the best of intentions just a shame they have had to go with the Bull next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:58 pm 

I'm not a fan of golf, never have been. But I see it there, too and in tennis. So many of the best are now so well trained they have no personality. How can a sport rely on having a future if you can't like or relate to any of the participants.

I remember back in the early 80s, we lived in Columbus, Ohio for a few years and we would go to see races at the Mid-Ohio racetrack. I was in middle school so not old enough to keep ..cough...well lubricated...like Dad and his friends, as we spent the weekend in a VW camper that they took from the office. But, it was a lot of fun and drivers had personalities and loved meeting fans. I'll always remember one year, Mario Andretti washed out n the first couple of laps, so we didn't get an opportunity to see him really race. But he took a full lap in the wrecker, hanging out the window waving to everyone. He didn't pout and stomp off because his day ended early. And we ate it up, the crowd was going crazy for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am 

Not watched F1 for several years due to all the reasons others here have already stated........I thought I would give the British Grand Prix a go on C4 tv last Sunday to see if things had improved......sadly not, so will wait for Hamilton to retire before I bother again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 pm 

I've given up on F1. We've moved over to MotoGP, Mel signed up to the BT sport app this year and it has been fantastic. In qualifying last week at Assen there was half a second between first and tenth place!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next