mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dunlop D1 wheel nuts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm 

abri wrote:
Certainly. Let's see if I can get this right...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21224328@N07/28363526347/in/album-72157692955414580/

Sorry, I can't get the photo to appear in the thread for some reason. It's on Flickr at the link above.

The nut is not as handsome as the ones Peter makes (carefully phrased to avoid rude jokes ;) ) but will do the trick.

I'll report back as soon as I have a price.

To get the picture from flickr to appear on the site click on the Share arrow, bottom right, select the size you want, then copy and paste the BBcode into the post.

ImageD1 NUT by abridb, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the tip Surfblue63.

Update from Speedshack:

£2.25 a nut or £41.95 for sixteen including shipping in the UK. Add 4% if paying by PayPal.

Seems about par for the course compared to the fancier nuts sold by Minispares and the like. I’ll be ordering a set.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 pm 

So, as suggested earlier in this thread, Speedshack's service is excellent and their D1 wheel nuts decent. Definitely a recommended supplier.

One issue I noted that I'd like to get some advice on:
The diameter of the nuts where they go through the rim is 15.9mm. The holes themselves I've measured at 17 mm and two of them are 18 mm diameter. Seeing as the wheels on a mini get centered by the nuts and not by a central hub, this might pose a problem. What do you think of the size discrepancy? Is it worth worrying about?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

abri wrote:
So, as suggested earlier in this thread, Speedshack's service is excellent and their D1 wheel nuts decent. Definitely a recommended supplier.

One issue I noted that I'd like to get some advice on:
The diameter of the nuts where they go through the rim is 15.9mm. The holes themselves I've measured at 17 mm and two of them are 18 mm diameter. Seeing as the wheels on a mini get centered by the nuts and not by a central hub, this might pose a problem. What do you think of the size discrepancy? Is it worth worrying about?

A mm here or there when it comes to road wheels, particularly ones that are only 10" in diameter is simply too small to worry about.