mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm 

Hi anyone got advice or opinions on who sells the best reproduction Mk1 two piece tail light lenses? I got some a while ago here in Australia that were pretty good, but can't remember who supplied them... Now I need another set.

Cheers
Maddog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure you will find they all come from the same source anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:19 pm 

Maddog wrote:
Hi anyone got advice or opinions on who sells the best reproduction Mk1 two piece tail light lenses? I got some a while ago here in Australia that were pretty good, but can't remember who supplied them... Now I need another set.

Cheers
Maddog

I managed to get a brand new original set recently in their boxes, so keep an eagle out on ebay etc.

It looks as if I'll be back in Hobart next year for a bit, do you accept mini withdrawal symptom folks for therapy??

;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 am 

Are they Aussie spec tail lamps? If they are then they are different to UK type. Aussie version are held on with two screws & UK type have 3 screws. Last 2 screw set I got came from Minisport in Adelaide.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 am 

minibitz wrote:
Are they Aussie spec tail lamps? If they are then they are different to UK type. Aussie version are held on with two screws & UK type have 3 screws. Last 2 screw set I got came from Minisport in Adelaide.

We had both. From the start of Oz assembly in 1961 through to around June 1967 all tail lights were the Lucas England AL647 three-screw type. In order to qualify for the government's local content laws the Lucas Australia AL136 two-screw assemblies replaced them and were used right through to the end of round-nose production in 1971. So if it's an Australian Mark 1 they had both types.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:06 am 

I have recently fitted a set of repro Mk1 tail light units to my rebuild ( '66 Aust. Mk1 used UK 3 screw item) from a reputable UK source.
When time came to test lighting circuit, every globe - front and rear - lit up.
Eventually found the 2 leads into the lower/red lense section that should have been red (for parkers) and green (for stop) were reversed and contacted the wrong terminal in the twin-filament globes.
It took me about 4 days to work out what went wrong. Since I had rebuilt the wiring loom, I assumed that I had made the mistake.....
The reproduction bits were very well made and they look the part. Don't assume red fits red etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Admin

I have used 3 sets of the repro MK1 indicatior units this year & all have been spot on. Always worth checking stuff like this though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm after just the plastic lenses for the original 3 screw Mk 1 lights. I have a good set of bases that I am putting back together. If the repros all some from the same supplier I will shop around online. Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:31 am 

I think genuine Lucas UK 3 screw lens are still available. The ones on the MKO website clearly show the Lucas name and part number embossing and I believe come in Lucas branded boxes. Whether they are classed as repro because the 'old' Lucas no longer exists I don't know.

Minisport SA and other suppliers here in Australia may also have them.

https://minikingdomonline.com.au/?s=len ... pe=product

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:10 pm 

Not to confuse things but here in the states we had all red upper and lower on early cars followed by the red and amber. A few years back I stumbled upon a small flat of the red uppers NOS in the old style boxes with tissue paper. I sold on all but a single set for my early 850 LHD. Wonder who else and what years red uppers were used? Steve (CTR)