mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:57 pm 

Hello,

It's been a while since I have posted. I had a thread on here for my mk1 that I was restoring, that I stopped updating and I apologise for that! The car has been restored, and I am returning to the UK this month.

I have a quote from a shipping agency to get the car to a port in London, however things get complicated from there. My car is a bit of an oddball and I fear that it is going to have a hard time being registered in the UK. I would really love if someone could help me through this process and/or recommend a customs agent!

Here are the issues:

1) Car is currently registered under my name in the state of NY, USA. Cars older than 1973 do not have a title just the registration, and since mine is a 1960 I only have the registration.

2) The VIN plate incorrectly states that it is a 1963 Austin Cooper, but it is actually a 1960 Austin Mini

3) Car is correctly identified by the Front End number which is FE30501

4) When I bought the car it was green, I repainted it to red

5) The factory engine was an 850, I bought it with a 1098, and then swapped it to a '93 1275

6) When the car arrives, it will not pass its MOT. I have a little more work to do on it, and therefore want it to be SORN and transported to a personal garage.

Is this going to be a nightmare to import and should I just cut losses and sell it in the USA? I really do not want to, if possible.
I would appreciate any and all help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Goodness me!

That sounds like it could be a right bag of worms!!

Best to speak with a decent agent.

I used Kingstown who were very helpful when I brought back an Austin Cooper S from the States.

http://www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:52 am 

In summary then you have a car and some paperwork which don't go together.

I think you'll have to go with what the paperwork says.

If the paperwork and VIN says '63 Cooper, forget what the shell may be, and hope that no-one official knows better.

Theres no official record of FE numbers (at least in the UK) so forget that.

In the UK you can change colour, engine size and number and get this recorded on the V5C (official registration document).

If you can do that in the US I guess it would make things easier.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:14 am 

As has been suggested the paperwork is what matters, what chassis number and description does the registration document have on it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 pm 

Thank you for the replies.

I have spoken with numerous people and all of them indicate that the car should be brought in as what is said on the registration.

I have been in contact with Phoenix Cargo who have a lot of experience with shipping classic minis. They will most likely be handling the car.

The registration document contains the VIN number but not the CAS27L part, just the number. That matches the stamped plate on the car. The CA2S7L is on the stamped plate only.

The car says AU for Austin and 2 door. The document says green, but I have had that changed to red in the DMV records but it is not reflected on the document.

I do need a valuation for the car by a reputed source. I have been in contact with Chris from the forum and he mentioned that Mark might be able to help me.

I would greatly appreciate help with the valuation and any other advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:14 am 
Site Admin

You have PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:17 pm 

You can clear up a couple of issues by getting a title from a state that provides them, and at that time provide a copy of the heritage certificate to have the year corrected. I was able to do this in Michigan with one visit to the secretary of state/DMV.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 pm 

After much struggling with the DMV, I have had the colour and year corrected. This was advised by the shipping company, Phoenix Cargo as declaring the car falsely as a 1963 could be a serious issue.
The C in CA2S7L is the only incorrect piece, but I feel that is the best possible outcome of this situation. I will be looking to ship soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 am 

My S3 1 ton landrover went to the states with Kingstown. They were slick and professional. There were no hitches at all.

Good job it's gone to the states. 8mpg real.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am 

I have mentioned before , but Kingstons provide an excellent service .

They helped me ship my mini from Australia and they kept my updated every step of the way .

Be aware of import taxes , try and apply for a tax code BTI 9705 ,
which means you will only pay 5% tax on the price of vahicle instead of 20% , which they could charge you .