mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:31 am 

This recent article on the 'Classic World' website (extract & link below) may be of interest.....it is about attracting younger generations into classic cars. This topic often seems to be a particular worry to the MCR, the high values of all types of Mini Cooper probably mean that this won't change but the more recent non-Cooper classic Minis of the 1980's/90's/00's (Mayfair/City, etc) still seem to attract younger 'diehard' enthusiasts and the long production run of the Mini means the first car 'nostalgia effect' should carry on for much longer than for many other classic car marques. As also mentioned in the article it is much harder for a 'dead' marque to appeal to someone born two decades after the marque ceased production, so maybe with some early R50 MINI's also becoming 'modern' classics, plus cheap secondhand MINI's and the ongoing new models these can still act as an entry point for the youngsters who attend Mini shows and see both new and old models of the marque on display?

Getting Youngsters Into Classic Cars
"The aging profile of members in many clubs is a perennial worry to those wondering who will have the interest and the passion to keep their classics on the road when it is time for the current drivers to hang up their keys. The concern is twofold: on the one hand that youngsters who have grown up in the digital world of social media simply won’t see the relevance of joining a formal car club, and on the other that they will have developed nostalgic attractions to a much more recent generation of car leaving the established classics unloved and unwanted.
The situation is not helped by spiralling values for classic cars, which often price younger drivers out of the market. That is not such a problem for marques which continue in production today, as they generally enjoy a ready supply of modern classics, secondhand cars and new models to act as an entry point to the brand. A youngster is far more likely to acquire an interest in the classic MGs if they run a £500 ZR as a daily driver for example, than they would have been if the marque had died with the closure of Abingdon in 1980 some two decades before they were even born.
However, supporting a ‘dead’ marque does not inevitably mean a club is doomed to a slow decline. The MG Car Club has set up a Young Members Group complete with a special graduated pricing structure, but the TR Register (the last TR was built in 1981 and the last Triumph in 1984) did something similar with their Youth Group some years back, as did many others. And it is interesting to note that many of the younger members covet and eventually buy models that they could never have seen in general use on the road."
https://classicsworld.co.uk/opinion/get ... ssic-cars/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:36 pm 

Clubs fight a lost cause to get todays youngsters into classic cars because of the general apathy, national & local gov; policys, Insurance costs, plus many do not have the mechanical ability because of education & employment trends. These young adults also need to pay off the student loan & get a Mortgage .. so how can they afford to buy & run a classic? .. the only way is they buy a modern model that is also used in motorsport then run and keep it for 20+ years until it "may" possibly start to appreciate.
( which is what my son did with his UR quattro .)

I note that Auction prices on some Jags & Ferrari etc have reduced in values by about 20%. in comparison to the Auction price paid 2 years ago.
Only buy a Classic Car because you can afford to loose money on your classic, it may not always be an investment. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:53 pm 

My son and daughter are typical examples...... I restored my mini in my garage and have pictures of daughter helping with all the odds and sods jobs. Passing spanners, cleaning them, starting nuts on their threads, simple cleaning out painted threads........, you know the sort of thing. She still recognises AF sizes (only metric at her school), UNF/UNC thread patterns, engineering at Uni....... But classic cars..... Absolutely no interest! I even told her that when she finished school we'd do a mini van(?) together, if only to use up the zillions of parts we'd gathered together. Nope! Son pretty much the same BUT he does like cars per-se and I'm sure that one day, not soon, but one day, he'll have an old classic. But not as we know it. It'll be a 2025 or so Golf GTi or new Mini. Interest in my classic mini. Zilch

Last edited by Peter Laidler on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:14 pm 

My son, soon 18 has been involved in my love of the classic mini for many years,so much so that he refuses to drive the BMW R50 mini cooper I bought as a safer starter car, preferring the 1996 Rover cooper he has restored !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:15 pm 

If your brave enough, the trick is to lend them a classic. My son was stuck for a daily commute car so I lent him my 997 Cooper. They are just cars and need to be used after all. The initial reaction was that it was an under power piece of ancient history. The next I knew he was trashing it all the way to Morocco together with his girl friend. Now he is adamant that it is his and it needs to be written into my will!

Here is a taste of what they got up to.

Attachment:
BD01F1C1-F88E-469E-9E70-1EFAD8CF6F08.jpeg

D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:09 pm 

Great story and brave loan!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:15 pm 

Love the steamed up windows - enjoying the sunset!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 pm 

Is that an RH plate?

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:48 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Is that an RH plate?

Certainly is Rich.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:44 pm 

That's a great car