mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:01 pm 

"The Jaguar XJS V12 HE (see link below) has had 2 owners since 1990 and covered 840 miles - an average of 30 miles a year. It has been preserved in storage in hope that values would spiral as a classic in the future. It will be offered to the highest bidder at a Silverstone auction next month with an estimate of £35K to £40K. That's more than the first owner paid 28 years ago - but not if you adjust for inflation. In 1990, an XJS V12 HE cost £34,200 - in today's prices that works out at just over £81,000. If the money had been invested in the stock market, it could now be worth £332,000.
A 1987 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth with 10,840 miles on the clock is predicted to sell at the same auction for a more impressive £105,000. Some 21 years ago, the fast Ford would have cost £19,950 new. That works out an inflation-adjusted £55,685, so the Sierra Cosworth at least is almost twice as valuable today as it was when first sold. Proof that picking the right car to bubble wrap for years can be a brilliant investment."
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars ... f-new.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:10 pm 

If you want to make money out of classic cars, you have to buy them when they are at their lowest value - which is not (usually) when they are new. Also, you might as well buy something you enjoy driving and USE it!! Buying a new car and simply storing it away isn't generally going to make you much. I don't think all those people who bought the last built Mini Coopers and stored them will have seen any real profit yet will they.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:25 pm 

It all depends on how old you are as well . I can't really see the point in a 65 year old putting something away for 20 years ! ... live for today ... ken

70 1275 GT
246 Ferrari Dino ...........sold
997 Porsche turbo
MPI modified
Transit van
Minisprint Trickett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:31 pm 

What an utter waste of an XJS...

Also, factor-in the cost of keeping the car stored, registration updated and maintenance to keep it stabilized. AND inflation on top of that? Not a great investment.

Old English White wrote:
If you want to make money out of classic cars, you have to buy them when they are at their lowest value - which is not (usually) when they are new.

Good point. In general, I think buying things like cars purely as an investment is sad. They're meant to be driven and enjoyed, it's not a stock portfolio.

If you at least wanted to be smart about it, wait 10-15 years until a new car has depreciated as much as possible, then buy the best one you can find. Might not be a zero-mile collector's item, but the value doesn't have to skyrocket to cover what you have into the car.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:22 am 

Other factors to consider are the gamble of what to buy - it may not be the cheapest way into cars, but if you wait until something at least is a 'classic', yes you will have missed the chance to buy it for a very low value, but you'll have a better eye for what makes / models are on the rise, and you'll not have to wait as long to see the profit.

Or, you could just buy what you like, enjoy it, and there is a fir chance that if you like it, someone else will too and you can sell it if you need / want to. Any profit is a bonus.

I'm not a fan of cars bought specifically as investments, but I do think they are a worthwhile and enjoyable place to make your 'spare' money (not that I have any!) work for you in the medium to long term. Whether it would be better in another 'investment' is a judgement call, and very much depends on your motivation and viewpoint. in many cases alternative investments are outperforming traditional methods, and many old car collectors vehicles will now actually be outperforming their pensions, quite by accident.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:04 pm 

Pandora wrote:

I'm not a fan of cars bought specifically as investments,
Al

no shit sherlock!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:51 pm 

ha ha, true, but i've yet to take a loss on a car 8-)

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:21 pm 

Classic cars are also currently classified as 'wasting assets' by HMRC - items classed as having a normal predictable life of less than 50 years and therefore exempt from Capital Gains Tax.....unlike property. Wasting assets also apparently include old clocks and watches, racehorses and most fine wine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:49 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
Wasting assets also apparently include old clocks and watches

My 1915 wrist watch is doing sterling (silver) service then! even if it is about 40 years overdue a service, and is a little erratic like it's owner! :D

Al

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:25 pm 

I was lucky enough to buy this at the right time it appears. But it did take away ten years of my mini restoring life.

Amazing piece of kit to drive mind you, especially at Silverstone and suchlike ;-) It even has a mini me ;-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.