mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 am 

Just been watching a recent BBC Four TV documentary I recorded about the music of guitarist Jeff Beck and his other great passion of collecting and building hot rods. During this interesting story of his life in music, I noticed there is a Mini at the back of the still shot below of his Hot Rod collection gathered in the driveway of his beautiful country house in Wadhurst, East Sussex.

'Jeff Beck: Still on the Run - BBC Four'
This film tells Jeff's story from his earliest days growing up in Wallington, Surrey with his homemade guitars, teenage friendship with Jimmy Page (in Epsom, Surrey) and the influences of guitarists such as Les Paul, Cliff Gallup and James Burton. With essential tracks from throughout his career it follows his journey from art school and early bands, through his various groups, musical ventures and passion for hot rods, to the release of his latest album and sell-out show at the Hollywood Bowl. We hear testimony to the genius of Jeff Beck from musicians who have recorded and played alongside him such as Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Jennifer Batten, Beth Hart, Joe Perry and Slash, who all shine a light on his ever-evolving guitar style and reveal why to this day he remains not only a musical visionary but also the most influential and highly rated guitarist of his generation. (Not currently available on BBC iPlayer)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b0g902

A couple of USA made You Tube videos below featuring Jeff Beck and his car collection.
Jeff Beck --Music and Cars Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3v5XH91Q_8
Jeff Beck - Music and Cars Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxUH33e_Xc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 am 

Back in the early '80s I was driving to a girlfriends, who lived in Cousley Wood. Just as I was going past the Rock Robin pub and Wadhurst station a black 1932 Ford came the other way with Jeff Beck at the wheel. I'll never forget seeing that nose through the windscreen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am 

mab01uk wrote:

theres some serious value of cars there if they are all steel hotrods, and that stingray would test the wallet if you wanted to buy it now!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:05 pm 

Is the yellow one up front an homage or really the American Graffiti car?

Google answered my question. He built it himself, long long ago http://jeffsallgraffitiallthetime.blogspot.com/2016/04/

Interestingly, the license plate is the real one used in the movie, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:14 pm 

32 Fords are the holy grail and roadsters followed by 3 and 5 window coupes and the Tudor bring monster money. All steel panels to complete bodies are available new now at about $15,000 plus boxing and shipping. Not for the weak of heart. I bought my 1930 Model A 5 window coupe in 1965 for $300. that was just before I discovered minis. I have kept it all these years just in case when I get old I want something less exciting than a mini. Steve (CTR)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:32 pm 

My uncle is a hot rod guy. Well, Corvettes first but they go hand in hand. I believe he’s owned every model of Vette, but his collection is ever changing. The 40 Ford is his newest, I think.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:46 pm 

Cracking photos there zed.

I've always had the horn for an early single headlamp stingray, but theye would be slightly above my price point now!

I'd like to think my 62 corvair spyder is a suitable alternative! 8-)

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:56 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
I've always had the horn for an early single headlamp stingray, but theye would be slightly above my price point now!

The first C1 Corvettes were not Stingrays. The Sting Ray name was first used on the '63 Split Window C2 model. On the 1968 C3 they used the name Stingray. :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm 

surfblue63 wrote:

The first C1 Corvettes were not Stingrays. The Stingray name was first used on the '63 Split Window C2 model. :geek:

Yeah I know......

I've always called them stingrays since I was a kid and I'm too old to change........

I'd have a proper 63 stingray as well when I win big on the premium bonds!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:52 pm 

Cracking photos there zed.

I'd like to think my 62 corvair spyder is a suitable alternative! 8-)

Yes, very lustworthy. Such a classic look that will always make it one of the most sought after American cars. The one car he would never part with!

The Olds street-rod is for sale, though. I love that orange.

The blue '67 may be my favorite Vette, though. But, I'm a child of the 70s. If I got that route, geve me a Duster or a Nova :)

Corvair is nice. Drop top? But keep telling yourself that :)