mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1965 Owners Pack
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 pm 

I'm new to here and hope some of you knowledgable folk can fill in some information.

I imported from New Zealand a Mk 1 Cooper S (in boxes) 4 years ago and just getting prepared for a full restoration. If I were collecting the car new from the dealership in September 65 what would the owners pack comprise of? might anyone have any images?

Post subject: Re: 1965 Owners Pack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Admin

I have a complete one at home, will sort some pics out.

But these are the bits I can remember.

All in a C5 ish size envelope:

Handbook
Passport to service
RAC Membership application
Leaflet on Radios
Leaflet on Accessories
Spare Key
Running in sticker

I think that's about it.

Will try & remember to do pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:25 am 

Did different dealers do different packs, or maybe adapt them to local circumstances?

I have a pack that came with my old 1967 MK1 (not an 'S', just a Super Deluxe). It's in a red Shell Oils Service Record folder, has the handbook, spare key, accessories booklet, leaflet on BMC Kangol seatbelts, a leaflet about tyre safety (stamped by the dealership) a Halfords anti freeze leaflet, and various other bits of local info, which include a typed out leaflet issued by the local distributor (not the dealer) about driving correctly and various other highway code type stuff and finally there is a leaflet issued by the local council and stamped by the dealership, regarding the road network in town. It's missing it's passport to service docs, must of got lost thru the passage of time.

I can do some pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 am 
Site Admin

The one I am referring to is the "factory one" which came in the official BMC AKD1975 envelope. I am sure that dealers pulled their own promotions etc together.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 pm 

Yeah, I realised which you meant, what I wondered was did the factory pack always go to the customer or did the local dealers sometimes take the factory pack and take the official bits out of it, scop the envelope out and make the factory documents along with local interest paperwork up into their own version which was then given to the customer when they bought the car? I wasn't sure if this was a normal thing around the dealers in other parts of the country or just maybe certain ones?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Good question, but TBH, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 pm 

I'll take some pics of the one I have tomorrow and post them up so you can see what it's like.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm 

Time Bandit wrote:
Yeah, I realised which you meant, what I wondered was did the factory pack always go to the customer or did the local dealers sometimes take the factory pack and take the official bits out of it, scop the envelope out and make the factory documents along with local interest paperwork up into their own version which was then given to the customer when they bought the car? I wasn't sure if this was a normal thing around the dealers in other parts of the country or just maybe certain ones?

if they where anything like modern dealers they would simply throw any paper work in the bin in an attempt to wriggle out of any warrenty or service work in the future..... :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:33 am 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Time Bandit wrote:

if they where anything like modern dealers they would simply throw any paper work in the bin in an attempt to wriggle out of any warrenty or service work in the future..... :lol:

:lol: Funnily enough, in amongst the paperwork and stuff for the car is the bill for it's first service, one of the items is a BMC Warranty Claim...the R/H trim must of fallen off and it was claimed for on the warranty and BMC (or whoever) must of stumped up for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:00 pm 

This is the 'pack' that came with my car. It's something the dealer has made up with local documents and leaflets (for the want of a better description) along with the BMC stuff (handbook, seatbelt leaflet etc), most of the documents have the dealers stamp on them so they were put in by the dealer at the time rather than just being bunged in there at a later date, there is also one which has the distributers name on it so that must of been given to the dealer when the car and original pack was given to them? There's no service booklet or warranty paperwork but I'm guessing there would of been originally but have been lost in the past. The little notebook is nothing to do with the owners pack as such but is a quite interesting bit of the cars history, it contains details of everything the first owner has spent on the car from buying it new in Sept 1968 (it's actually a late Sept 67 built MK1, but sat unsold for a year) until I bought it off her in 1983. It was my great Aunt who had it so I suppose technically it's still in the family...though it would be hard to call it a car now, more just a pile of boxes of bits!!

I think the suppling dealer must of been a Shell Oils agent or something and as such supplied the Shell Service Record wallet with new cars supplied at the time. I also have a similar Shell wallet for a Vauxhall Victor Estate which you clip the service details in, that dates from 1967 according to the paperwork in it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.