mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm 

These Kangol belts were in the A40, and work just like the 'usual' black plastic / chrome magnetic ones you normally see in minis, but are cast alloy with encased steel / magnets.

Are they simply an earlier version? I've not seen a set like them before.

They are also a bit odd in that the threading of the components holds them together - there is NO stitching, which made them easy to replace the strapping on (though the chrome could do with redoing if I keep them)

Has anyone got a late '50s Kangol catalogue? I'm intrigued that in all the old cars I've sat in, I don't recognise them.

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm 

Seems they are from the late '50s / early '60s and googling 'Kangol Magnetic' threw up this ad.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im19 ... golMag.jpg

There was a later version with a chromed steel lower clip (with a recess for a sticker) and then the usual black plastic top handle.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40 pm 

Just looking at the "Kangol Magnet, Carlisle" on the catch and just thinking how times have changed, once the factory churned out seat belts for virtually 50% of all UK made cars (or something like that) and now along with near enough all of Carlisle's industrial past the factory is long gone...demolished and it's now got student accomodation built on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am 

I was an apprentice at Carlisle for 3 looooooong years in the mid to early 60's and we used to play sport and games against the other big apprentice groups. From Metal Box, Carrs Biscuits, the Crane Makers - (forget their names) - Kangol-Magnet and others. Shame to see these places all finished now. I was a school cross country runner and everyone seemed to be a skinny as a rake. Mind you, there was plenty of wild rough country and boggy ground to run over up there!!!!

Carlisle....., happy days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:49 am 
Site Admin

I don't have anything to add of a constructive nature, but it's really good to see a new "variation" on a common-ish item!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:02 pm 

Peter - Cowans Sheldon, made railway and dock cranes for all over the world and many are still in use.

There's a retail park there now :roll:

All Carlisle has left now in terms of major industry is Pirelli, McVities and Metal Box

Seat belts were still being made in Denton Holme up to 2 years ago out of the ashes of Kangol. They made for Bentley and Lotus and had a staff of around 20 until the operations was farmed out to Romania. A mate of mine worked there and restored a few sets of belts for me on the side. Unfortunately they were no hidden dusty rooms full of undiscovered magnetic buckles! (I did ask)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:10 pm 

Sad, isn't it.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:29 pm 

Sad indeed Al,

But there's a booming trade in cross border booze runs now :lol:

...nowhere near as sad as the Glasgow School of Art though, was almost crying at that :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

...nowhere near as sad as the Glasgow School of Art though, was almost crying at that.

I can't help but wonder how such an important building was allowed to burn down twice within a handful of years.

Haven't they heard of sprinklers?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:09 pm 

As my day job is as H&S Officer at Edinburgh College of Art, I think I'll not offer any comment on that, but suffice to say, I feel for them all, and 'we' have offered to do all we can to help, as we did in 2014.

Whilst thankful there was no injury, the loss of 'the Mack' is a tragedy. Who knows what the future holds, so for now we just wait.

:cry:

Al