mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Innocenti
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 pm 

Hi.
I was after some views and thoughts on Innocenti Mini Coopers please. As BMC Coopers now seem to be way beyond what I'm comfortable to spend, I was having a look around at Innocenti export models. There seems to be a good number of cars around, especially in Italy, but I was very surprised by what good value they at least appear to be in comparison to UK produced cars. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here?
Take for instance this car:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C981597
Now, granted its in Italy and I'm not, but if it were ok its cheaper than some 1275GTs that I've seen. In my mind I would value the Inno as being much more desirable than a 1275GT. So, I was really after some thoughts as to whether an Innocenti is viewed as a bit of an oddball and less desirable and/or whether it seems like a good option for getting into a special mini at a much lower price?
Also, given the big difference in asking price between an Inno and lets say a mk3 1275S (maybe double-ish?) I feel like I must be missing something - is it just that people feel the Italian car isnt a real cooper? I'm sorry that I'm rather rusty/ignorant of the various mechanical specs and differences between tthe various 1275 cars: but am I right in thinking that, the Innocenti essentially has a 1275gt engine but with twin SUs? Is that perhaps why they arent viewed as being as valuable?
I really quite fancy one for nipping around in! I like the details like the dials and the wheels and fact its LHD is great in town traffic! Best act fast before brexit.
Many thanks for any thoughts,info,etc
Best
Will

Post subject: Re: Innocenti
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

I hacve always liked the Inno MK3 1300 Cooper & think it represents excellent value. The spec is undoubtedly better than anything produced in the UK.

The main drawback is "Is it a real Cooper?"

Only you can decide that :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 pm 

Thanks Mark for your thoughts. By the way, I have your avatars car in my garage! Actually it's 40 chassis earlier than what people say was kar120c! Best. Will

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:37 pm 

I suspect too, that the Inno cars may not be viewed as being as valuable as they have little (any?) competition pedigree, a bit like the 998 Coopers.

Did the Inno cars ever come in RHD?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:49 pm 

I've always had a soft spot for the Inno Coopers (mostly because Innocenti produced the Lambretta scooter, but that's another story...).

The build quality is really good on these cars, and the interiors are some of the finest on any factory car, in my humble opinion.

I'd much prefer an Inno 1300 Mini Cooper over a 1275GT. Just can't get over that square nose, although plenty of people love them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 pm 

I had both Inno Export and GT. I got them within a few months of each other. I sold the Inno after a couple of years and still have the GT. The Inno was quicker because the engine had been breathed on. The GT was quieter and the seats softer.
The main problem with the Inno is finding replacements for all the Italian sourced items. I think Inno parts are the most expensive to get hold of, if you can find them. Rad grilles are £300, headlamps are impossible to find, door glass is usually £500 a set, good boot lids are £200, number plate lamps are... The list goes on. They may have the best appointed dash but the electrics are very different to a contemporary British built car which again means trying to find hard to get parts when stuff goes wrong. Great cars, but make sure you find one that is not missing anything as it could turn out expensive in the end.

The one you have linked to does not show pictures of the engine bay or dash.

If you are serious this link will help you find an Inno, there's usually quite a few listed.

https://www.kijiji.it/motori/auto/innoc ... ryPoint=sb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:47 pm 

An Inno 1300 Export is on my wish list. Probably the best appointed MINI produced.
Almost the same power as a 1275 S
Vent windows
Coolest dash ever
Cigar lighter
Hydrolastic (?)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:34 pm 

:roll: I have an very nice Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300 (Dutch) november 1972 instruction book for sale.

Selling price 50 pounds + P&P, is in a very good condition (I know this is the wrong section).

Kees.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by UHR850 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:06 am 

:roll: Some more :arrow:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:47 pm 

mk1 wrote:
I hacve always liked the Inno MK3 1300 Cooper & think it represents excellent value. The spec is undoubtedly better than anything produced in the UK.

The main drawback is "Is it a real Cooper?"

Only you can decide that :)

Agree, You will have as much fun as a 1275S, its just not as valuable or as likely to be counterfeited ....have you ever noticed how amount of Ss registered have increased over last 10 years or so :D ......