mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Freight AGAIN
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:24 pm 

Received a shipment of body panels yesterday...three boxes delivered by FED X.
Missing a few small parts...not the fault of the supplier...they disappeared enroute.......when you look at these pictures you will probably ask yourself......
What are we paying for???

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Air Freight AGAIN
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:32 pm 

And they will fight every penny you try to claim. UPS wrecked 2 pieces of hifi equipment I sold a few years ago. A $1000 super cd player that was shipped in a custom wooden crate. They must have dropped it a good distance and the crate cracked open. I never got back a penny, they claimed it was not well packed. A crate that was built for it in Singapore and safely saw it ship to Thailand, back to Singapore, Detroit, California then here to MA was not adequate to get it to Texas.

So, I thought I learned my lesson and paid to have them pack Marantz 10B tuner I sold for $1700. Figured they can't tell me it wasn't well packed in that case. Well, they dropped something on top of it crushing 10, irreplaceable at any cost, Telefunken tubes. Even if I could have found them it would have run $75-100 each. After months of fighting with them they finally coughed up $900 even though it had been insured for $2000 and I had the proof of how much I had sold it for.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:59 pm 

It's always very annoying when parcels arrive in that sort of condition, I am sure that sometimes the postal firms throw the stuff around with little care.

I used to refuse to sign for the damaged parcels where I worked, as getting anything sorted out or refunded is so difficult.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 pm 

To be fair to FedEx I'd say the sender has to share the blame. Sending stuff like front panels out in thin boxes with little padding inside is expecting a lot. Once a box like that starts to tear they just fail.

Of course, the more packaging, the more expensive the shpiping. ........

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:27 pm 

I sometimes get pissed at our works packaging with tons of insulation and packaging inside and miles of tape on the boxes that arrives here but I'd agree with Rich that in this case those packages are severely lacking in tape to keep the boxes together if they are mishandled.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:44 pm 

zbarbera wrote:
So, I thought I learned my lesson and paid to have them pack Marantz 10B tuner I sold for $1700. Figured they can't tell me it wasn't well packed in that case. Well, they dropped something on top of it crushing 10, irreplaceable at any cost, Telefunken tubes. Even if I could have found them it would have run $75-100 each. After months of fighting with them they finally coughed up $900 even though it had been insured for $2000 and I had the proof of how much I had sold it for.

Unfortunately, I learned long ago that buying insurance on FedEx or UPS shipments is a complete scam. Good luck ever getting paid for the full insurance amount, if you get paid at all. I'm vigilant about packaging things as a seller, to minimize any potential risks when shipping (since buyers will go after the seller either way).

Dermott, to Rich's point, these parts were clearly not packed well. Thicker cardboard would have prevented a lot of this damage alone, which is what FedEx will argue. Do you have any recourse in asking the seller to send replacement parts?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:08 pm 

What about wrapping the package with miles of that black sort-of cling-film stuff. Just wind it round and round and round. Much thicker and tougher than cling-film of course. Not too heavy and it seems to bend with the box but doesn't split easily. But nothing is ParcelForce safe

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 pm 

One thing I so appreciate about Rich and MS is every parcel I have received has been really well packed and nothing within lost or damaged. :D

The use of low grade, thin wall card on sharp bits is a terrible idea. Without a lot of extra tape reinforcement that stuff shreds almost instantly. In my case it goes into the recycle bin within seconds as unlike better quality card, that junk is utterly unsuitable for reuse and frankly should not be used on long distance shipments as one is lucky if it even survives the journey.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:54 pm 

Peters idea of pallet wrap is ideal once bound round a few times is very hard to tear.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:18 pm 

Gray wrote:
Peters idea of pallet wrap is ideal once bound round a few times is very hard to tear.

The only problem with using pallet wrap is that is designed for use on solid stuff and needs to be tensioned as you use it so that it stretches into itself.

Just wrapping it around normal boxes is a waste of time as it snags on the machinery in the parcel handeling hubs and tears, then the labels vanish off it........

It's good for tyres and things like that but we don't use it on boxes very often

A properly packed, well taped box is a much better solution

'long beard boss'