mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bestest Battery?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:12 am 

Morning chaps. Hoping to finish my 65 1275 S THIS summer! :lol: Can anyone recommend a very good battery for it---std'ish compression and electrics, +earth with a dynamo and will only be used w'ends and holidays. Many thanks. Cheers Ray.

Post subject: Re: Bestest Battery?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:32 pm 

VARTA........., but! Make sure that when it's not being used that it's on a very low charge trickle charger, timed to come on for a few hours every day. Just my opinion of course based on my experience with looooooong lasting Vartas in mine

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 pm 

RayCox wrote:
Morning chaps. Hoping to finish my 65 1275 S THIS summer! :lol: Can anyone recommend a very good battery for it---std'ish compression and electrics, +earth with a dynamo and will only be used w'ends and holidays. Many thanks. Cheers Ray.

...always used Unipart on mine.. plus a Halfords trickle charger ... best 30 plus quid any classic mini owner could treat their mini to.. always started first time in minus temps on a sunny winters day before a drive ... foxy52

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 pm 

+1 on connecting the battery to a minder of some sort when the car sits more than a few days.

I've been using a CTEK charger/conditioner/minder unit along with a 'comfort connect' lead for the past few years. It has kept one battery tip-top for over 5 years (in 2 separate Minis) and gets used on another vehicle we have that sits at times as well. Unreservedly recommend their products.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:42 pm 

Another for the ctek charger...just comes on a timer for an hour once a week...no problem

Can also recommend Varta..used one very successfully on an mpi

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:37 pm 

RayCox wrote:

Many Many thanks Peter,Foxy,Bertam+Kevin.
Will look into that.......which model number should I look for i.e does size matter?!?! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:23 am 

My car has had a cheap small 043 battery (260CCA) in it for over 5 years. It always cranks the car over fine, and it's survived going flat at least once when the alternator died.

Over here we can get 058 and 067 size batteries which also fit in the box, you'll have to make sure the terminals suit + earth. Any decent battery shop should be able to sort you out, or you can search for the dimensions on a site like this:
https://www.tayna.co.uk

You don't necessarily need a huge battery if you keep it on the trickle charger or use it often enough to keep the battery charged.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:26 pm 

If you have a RH tank you may want to consider a battery with the terminals on the LH side. With the standard terminal arrangement I wasn't comfortable with how close they were to the tank..

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 pm 

mikal wrote:
If you have a RH tank you may want to consider a battery with the terminals on the LH side. With the standard terminal arrangement I wasn't comfortable with how close they were to the tank..

Ah yes...... it does have a RHT. Will bear that in mind. Thanks.