mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:11 am 

Andrew1967 wrote:

Personally, I think to sell to your preferred buyer, out of order of interest expression, if all other things are equal, is like queue jumping and we Brits don't like queue jumpers do we ?!! Or is that another British thing that is going down the pan ??

I agree and certainly not suggesting thats right BUT for example if the first buyer in the queue wants a large item posting to the other side of the world and the second lives five miles away he's under absolutely no obligation to sell to the first contact, it's entirely the seller's perogative how he handles it and by and large I'm pretty sure most sellers here sell to the first buyer that contacts them.

The only thing we don't want is sellers running dutch auctions behind the scenes and I'm pretty confident we've largely got rid of that.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:20 am 

Yep, Dutch auctions = eBay, in my opinion Pete.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:42 am 

Andrew1967 wrote:
Yep, Dutch auctions = eBay, in my opinion Pete.

Probably worse mate, at least with Ebay you know where you stand!! (shill bids aside! :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:17 pm 

By the way a Dutch Auction is where an article is offered at a certain price, say £100. It is then reduced in increments until someone says they want the item.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:13 pm 

surfblue63 wrote:
Another thing I have done in the past is to remove any pictures of a sold item. None of these are hard and fast rules, it's just what I do on my sales listings to help buyers.

Haha. I'm always a bit disappointed when the pictures on a for sale listing re taken off :) Sometimes it helps me determine if it's something I don't know and may want or need.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:17 pm 

surfblue63 wrote:
By the way a Dutch Auction is where an article is offered at a certain price, say £100. It is then reduced in increments until someone says they want the item.

Well that's me told, well I think we know what I'm on about (even though I don't :lol: ), I meant when people take bids in private , which to be fair might work for some but is pretty annoying for many others.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:23 pm 

Pete wrote:
Andrew1967 wrote:

Personally, I think to sell to your preferred buyer, out of order of interest expression, if all other things are equal, is like queue jumping and we Brits don't like queue jumpers do we ?!! Or is that another British thing that is going down the pan ??

I agree and certainly not suggesting thats right BUT for example if the first buyer in the queue wants a large item posting to the other side of the world and the second lives five miles away he's under absolutely no obligation to sell to the first contact, it's entirely the seller's perogative how he handles it and by and large I'm pretty sure most sellers here sell to the first buyer that contacts them.

The only thing we don't want is sellers running dutch auctions behind the scenes and I'm pretty confident we've largely got rid of that.

No obligation, certainly. And, I've sold out of order before and have always communicated it to the member who may have been first and let them know why. For instance, once I put Mark ahead of someone on the queue because I appreciate the work he does to keep the community going here. The first person in line felt the same way and was fine with me doing it. I felt good helping Mark and being open with the other buyer. Even though a number of you do see each other face to face a lot of us have never met anyone else on the forum in person. But the feeling here is always of a friendly group that's pretty easy going with each other, regardless.

So, my two bits is that even though you may not know the seller (or buyer) personally, it is probably a good thing to treat them as if you did. It helps foster a community feeling here if you know you can trust folks to be open and honest.

And we Americans certainly kept that British trait :) Which sometimes completely fails us when we're overseas where people have no clue how to queue up. You did a poor job of instilling the virtue in your Asian territories! Living in Singapore and spending time in Hong Kong, the experience at markets and stores could be exasperating :)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:16 pm 

Andrew1967 wrote:
The previous experiences of a particular seller/buyer is a very valid point Pete, however....

No easy answer, I'll just continue to go along with my own ethics.

I know the reason for the thread and all I can say is that my experiences as a buyer and mainly, a seller, with the OP has been nothing but perfect.

I second that Andrew...you have a 100% perfect record as far as I am concerned...a pleasure to do business with.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:05 pm 

What about the Etiquette for 'Wanted ads

I was really pissed off when I asked for the wand conversion for the remote box recently only to have the item stolen from under my nose by members in the USA and Europe, in my opinion their actions were underhanded, if they had wanted the items why not post their own ad?

Rant over, does any one have the items for this conversion, or individual parts of the three part kit.

Please pm me if you can help

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 pm 

davidnutland wrote:
What about the Etiquette for 'Wanted ads

I was really pissed off when I asked for the wand conversion for the remote box recently only to have the item stolen from under my nose by members in the USA and Europe, in my opinion their actions were underhanded, if they had wanted the items why not post their own ad?

Rant over, does any one have the items for this conversion, or individual parts of the three part kit.

Please pm me if you can help

David. PM sent
Is this what you need??
If so...you can have it for the cost of postage to the UK.
Cheers
D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.