mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 pm 

Interested in hearing what you think is the best way to respond to 'for sale/want' ads. on the forum.....
Should you post a response on the ad. that you have sent a PM ...or just send a PM directly to the owner of the ad.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 pm 

I think that a 'PM sent' reply indicates to other forumers/readers that you have made contact and want whatever it is. It's p[olite and certainly to the point.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:13 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
I think that a 'PM sent' reply indicates to other forumers/readers that you have made contact and want whatever it is. It's p[olite and certainly to the point.

+1

It’s also courteous to sellers if you post some kind of follow-up if you don’t end up purchasing the item (for whatever reason).

To many, “pm sent” means sale pending, so without a follow-up I assume it’s sold.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 pm 

Highnumbers wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:

+1

It’s also courteous to sellers if you post some kind of follow-up if you don’t end up purchasing the item (for whatever reason).

To many, “pm sent” means sale pending, so without a follow-up I assume it’s sold.

Well said.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm 

Very good points...think the seller needs to respond too....I have found some outstanding sellers on here...excellent communications.....
I assume a PM sent is the best way...at least it sort of 'time stamps' when a member gets in line for popular items.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 am 

I sold an item recently that 4 members expressed an interest it, obviously the price was low. Some PM'd and some left a message on the thread. Not all PM'ers made a note on the thread. I responded to all by PM, checking the times of all messages to establish the order of interest, and let them know where they were in the queue. I also left a message on the thread saying all responded to. One the deal was agreed I then marked the item as sold on the thread.

One thing that can be done to help people notice that you have sold the item is to click on one of the Font color squares to the right, I used red, and right sold. Black text does not stand out. Another thing I have done in the past is to remove any pictures of a sold item. None of these are hard and fast rules, it's just what I do on my sales listings to help buyers.

When buying I always PM and then put a PM sent message on the thread. If it is a multiple listing I do not say which part I have PM'd about because if a deal can not be agreed I do not want to put others off.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am 

Ive had this recently where ive expressed an interest in 2 different items, with a reply on a thread and a PM , one replied and another didnt have the decency or courtesy to reply on thread or to PM, and the items were mysteriously all of a suden sold, I understand its only the internet, but at the end of the day manners and a bit of courtesy cost nothing, we all have the same interest, and id like to think none are above the other, but unfortunately thats not the case......

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 am 

As a buyer I always put 'PM sent' on the thread and then follow up with a PM.

As a seller, I always respond in the order the 'PM sent' is put on the thread OR when I receive a direct PM.

Whilst I would prefer everyone to put 'PM sent' on the thread for complete transparency, I do understand that some people do not want to advertise the fact that they are interested in an item. That is their prerogative.

Once a sale/potential sale is agreed, I post up 'SOLD PENDING PAYMENT' and then SOLD, in underlined bold italics.

I always reply to PM's, so much so that I have to be careful to manage them that I don't lose some of the older ones! Apologies to anyone who I do inadvertently miss.

I have heard that items do appear to get sold 'out of the order' of interest expression. That is not on and is not playing the game. I will not entertain that sort of underhand behaviour.

If I have an item that I know someone wants, I endeavour to offer it to them before listing it on the forum - if I remember who it is that wants it. At 50, my memory isn't getting any better :? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:53 am 

I can't see anything wrong with just PMing someone, I don't think it's really crucial to put that fact on the sales thread either. I've done both and have no theory or strong opinons either way on any etiquette. I also think we always have to be mindful that it's the the seller's perogative to put the enquiries in the order they come in , and I'm sure no matter what etiquette is chosen they'd do that anyway, it's just common sense. You also have to be mindful of the fact that it's also the seller's perogative who he sells his parts to, he might have a reason not to sell to any particular enquirer based on personal reasons, postage reasons, or even payment methods.

So in conclusion I'd say the question of 'what's the etiquette for responding to sales' is a rhetorical one and it's the seller's call how he handles his sales, I'm fairly sure the vast majority on here conduct their sales on a 'first come first served' basis no matter how people contacted them. Ive even been called on the phone before now, there's no real policy or etiquette on this as far as I can see.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:31 am 

The previous experiences of a particular seller/buyer is a very valid point Pete, however....

Personally, I think to sell to your preferred buyer, out of order of interest expression, if all other things are equal, is like queue jumping and we Brits don't like queue jumpers do we ?!! Or is that another British thing that is going down the pan ??

No easy answer, I'll just continue to go along with my own ethics.

I know the reason for the thread and all I can say is that my experiences as a buyer and mainly, a seller, with the OP has been nothing but perfect.