mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:26 pm 

The rubber dust cover on Robins car look like what I would have called after market dust covers. I have just had a look and maybe now see how to explain the problem.

The after market dust cover, always had a raised edge at the bottom of the rubber. Genuine MOWOG didn't.

I just checked in a NOS unipart box and low and behold they are the same as the aftermarket ones now. :roll:

The part no was GSJ166 but it's changed to GSJ1152. That might be why.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm 

Correct Iain. The Unipart kits i have here have the same aftermarket covers. The kits i have are GSJ166 with the aftermarket covers. Supplied by MS.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 pm 

nowadays I just either trat these rubbers as service items and swop them everytime the car is in bits, or on cars that don't come to bits as often I just buy the silicon ones off ebay - they are about 4 quid each, but so far have lasted for well over a year with no issues

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 pm 

Looks like this UK Rubber Component Manufacturer below does small production runs for classic vehicles:-
Our Work In The Classic Vehicle Restoration Sector
http://www.fairham.com/case-studies/classic-vehicles/

They are also the first rubber company to be endorsed as ‘Fit For Nuclear' so should not have any trouble making some reliable rubber components for our classic Minis......! :lol:

"Fairham Mouldings are delighted to announce they have been officially endorsed by the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre as ‘Fit For Nuclear’ – the benchmark for British companies entering into the civil nuclear supply chain. Fairham is the first organisation in the rubber industry to achieve this.
Fit For Nuclear is an intense business improvement journey that helps companies meet the standards required in the nuclear industry."
https://www.fairham.com/fairham-mouldin ... ar-status/

Previous thread (10 pages) that some may have missed:-
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9865

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 pm 

Very glad I didn’t buy Unipart now!

Interested to see what Catmint will have on offer...

Anyone got any MOWOG rubber dust covers going spare?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:31 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
nowadays I just either trat these rubbers as service items and swop them everytime the car is in bits, or on cars that don't come to bits as often I just buy the silicon ones off ebay - they are about 4 quid each, but so far have lasted for well over a year with no issues

Got a link Rich?
Nowt coming up on eBay...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:54 pm 

surfblue63 wrote:
Somerford were advertising Japanese made parts last year.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19798&hilit=rubber+quality

I've had a trawl through their web site and can not find anything. You could always give them a call, just hope it is one of the more polite staff members that answers.

I´ve just had a look and they are really not easy to find. The easiest way is to use their search mask and search for "Valtain". Then you´ll find them... ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:02 pm 

m1cH1 wrote:
surfblue63 wrote:
Somerford were advertising Japanese made parts last year.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19798&hilit=rubber+quality

I've had a trawl through their web site and can not find anything. You could always give them a call, just hope it is one of the more polite staff members that answers.

I´ve just had a look and they are really not easy to find. The easiest way is to use their search mask and search for "Valtain". Then you´ll find them... ;)

Found 20 various parts in the Somerford 'Valtain' search:-
https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/i ... rd=Valtain

VALTAIN HIGH QUALITY OUTER C.V. GAITER
£33.98 Ex VAT
£40.78 Inc VAT

VALTAIN HIGH QUALITY STEERING RACK GAITERS 5'' LONG-PAIR
£28.13 Ex VAT
£33.76 Inc VAT

VALTAIN HEAVY DUTY TRACK ROD END
£19.34 Ex VAT
£23.21 Inc VAT

VALTAIN J.A.P MAGNA MK2 ALLOY WHEEL 6x10 SET OF 4
£788.50 Ex VAT
£946.20 Inc VAT

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:30 am 

I have moulded some in automotive quality EPDM, the initial run was only a few to see if they last. So far Mark has had a set for about six months and they are still OK. I have not had a chance to make any more yet as I have had loads going on, but I will prioritise getting some done if there is enough interest. They will be about £1.50 each

Gordon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:45 am 

Put me on the top of your list for 4 please Gordon. Want cash up front?

To be really honest I pushed a screwdriver through the CV cover on my S last Summer (17) with a nice clean 3/8" split. It was otherwise perfect and MOWOG so I cleaned the area off with tricho and meths, dried it and super-glued a dunlop cycle tyre patch over it. Worked a treat and it's still intact as we speak. MUST be grease and oil free though. Not so easy if it was on the ribbed part. But shows that it will work on the rounded parts of the other bits. Don't try this on those Chinese made repro Durex though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next