mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mk1 road event
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 pm 

Okay, this sounds like a spectacular idea worth traveling for. Assuming I could arrange a rental/loaner I am trying to figure out how I could sell this to the wife as part of a longer vacation.

The idea of Blyton holds appeal somewhere south of a root canal. But a nice scenic weekend drive...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:14 pm 

Really good idea, I suspect quite a few people, like me, don't have the resources to fund a full on track day car. Bring it on :D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm 

zbarbera wrote:
Okay, this sounds like a spectacular idea worth traveling for. Assuming I could arrange a rental/loaner I am trying to figure out how I could sell this to the wife as part of a longer vacation.

The idea of Blyton holds appeal somewhere south of a root canal. But a nice scenic weekend drive...

Here’s one to check out if you’re hiring

http://www.lakesanddales.co.uk/classic- ... -cooper-s/

I’ve no experience of them personally but they’ve been around a good few years

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:38 pm 

docka wrote:
zbarbera wrote:

Here’s one to check out if you’re hiring

http://www.lakesanddales.co.uk/classic- ... -cooper-s/

I’ve no experience of them personally but they’ve been around a good few years

Wow. Ain't cheap is she?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 pm 

Bugger, I just realised I have now ruined a perfectly good plan to actually have something on the road.....

:lol:

ah well, I'll just need to cadge a lift! (clearly there is no hope of me turning a project round in over a year)

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:39 pm 

Although this is broadly planned for May / June next year, I've been doing a bit of looking into the 'red tape' of such events (and what we can avoid!) as well as route planning etc.

Plan remains to keep it informal, ideally with around a dozen to 20 cars max, with folks free to make whatever arrangements they want - hotels, camping, Air BnB in the area etc, but in general, would folks prefer the run on a Saturday with a chance for folks to meet up for food / beers afterwards, or do the run on a Sunday, maybe with a gathering for those who want to be sociable the night before?

I'm assuming many will have to travel and so be looking at least at a Friday or Monday off work, but others may make a longer trip of it.

Also, for those traveling, are folks likely to need trailer storage? Not quite sure what the answer to that would be, but I can look to see if there are any options locally.

If enough folk are keen I can look at seeing if I can get a deal on rooms / food at one of the hotels (via the chamber of commerce or suchlike), or are folk happier to just sort it themselves? obviously secure parking will be a priority for many which may limit some options.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome (though obviously I don't promise to meet them all, particularly if they are from Rich! :D )

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for all your hard work Al!

You can put me down for at least 1 spot. Will probably not need a trailer as I'll drive up.

My preference would be to meet up the afternoon / evening before then do the drive on Sunday so people can, if they want make a break for home Sunday evening, but I am of course flexible.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 am 

Likewise I'd be interested, just need to sort a car!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:48 pm 

Good news!

A high level meeting of the Mk1 road tour executive committee met last night in a secret venue (well, OK, the hotel bar in Bo'ness!) and we have agreed on a date which seems to avoid clashes with other national race / club events and local stuff like 'Common ridings' etc, so we are delighted to say the inaugural Mk1-Performance-conversions social Road run will take place on the late May bank holiday, with the run itself taking place on Sunday 26th May. Save the date!

There are still a few details to be sorted, but the plan remains a figure of eight loop based around Peebles, to the south of Edinburgh. Being a bank holiday the hope is folk can travel to Peebles on the Saturday and then head home on the Monday without impacting on work commitments.

As we generally have Blyton on the early May bank holiday, I'm going to petition Mark Carney to see if the can have the term 'Bank Holiday' changed to Mk1-performance-Conversions event day' I'll let you know how I get on. :D

For a variety of reasons we are keen to keep the first event fairly small, limited to around 20 cars, so let me know soon. There was an 'issue' reported this week where a group of around 30 minis and MINIS caused some degree of chaos on the North Coast 500 route when traveling in close convoy on single track roads, so we are keen to avoid similar problems - not being 'snobby' or elitist, but lets try to keep it forum members only to avoid such problems.

With the date set, I'm happy to look into whether any local hotels would do a deal, or are folks happy to book their own accommodation to suit their own needs / pocket? There are plenty B&Bs, Hotels, campsites, Airbnb options in and around Peebles. Trailer and car storage is likely to be the biggest consideration for many.

Anyway, It's all coming together, and I already know of many folks who are keen to come, so I hope it becomes the first of many such runs.

More details will of course follow nearer the time.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 pm 

Count me in.

A suggestion about bunching up. Why not send cars out in small groups (maybe 3 or 4) at timed intervals (5 or 10 minutes). That way mates could travel together and the locals will not get upset by a mass invasion.

By the way, is the tour planned as one day or two days? And how about a Sunday evening meal, get together after the day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next