mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mk1 road event
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 pm 

Some of you might have seen on Facebook that Pete put a photo up of minis in nice scenery, and this prompted me to dig out the photo of mine in a stunning valley in the Borders overlooking Talla resevoir. The co-incidence is, I'd been thinking about that same trip since getting back from Blyton.

The trackday is now so successful, and folk are also talking on the forum about a sprint or similar, but I wonder if there might also be the opportunity to run a non-competitive road tour so that all the 'spectators' we get at the track events can be involved who might not want to rag their minis quite so hard, or make it a family trip.

There are plenty local classic car / mini runs already (including the Scottish 'Thistle run'), of course, but surely a Mk1-Performance tour would be the most desirable run of all? Being based in Scotland, My thoughts were to run it fairly locally if only 'cause we have the best roads, they are largely empty and we invented the tarmac and the pneumatic tyre...... :lol:

My initial thoughts would be a circular route round the borders of a couple of hundred miles which would realistically give a full day of driving on spectacular roads, starting and finishing in somewhere like Selkirk or Peebles where there is plenty hotels / camp sites etc for those coming from further away. (roads such as those around the A708 St Mary's Loch road, the B6357 from Hawick to Newcastleton etc. All very Mini friendly, as you'll see on Google earth,or the photos below from a run I did a few years back)

I've no idea of the logistics of such events, but my thoughts are like the track day, very informal, no entry fee (charity donations, yes), this should keep it clear of insurance / council considerations etc. Very much a "we are doing this on such and such a day, here's the route we'll be taking and when we'll be leaving, feel free to come along" sort of thing. even if no-one turned up, I'd have a nice day out!

The Borders is perhaps easier for our (soft) southern friends to swallow than the likes of the North Coast 500 etc. and is well within reach of the main roads south. Some folk might like to extend their stay in the area, as there is loads to do. The roads are also very quiet and mini friendly (though often full of the odd sheep and middle aged blokes in lycra!)

As an initial idea, what are anyone's thoughts about such an event, probably during summer 2019? I can look more into the logistics and practicalities if folk are interested.

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:14 pm 

Excellent idea Al.

I have a couple of run routes which I have used before which use roads in Cumbria, Northumberland and North Yorkshire. I also have a route which goes from Durham to the Lakeland Motor museum. All these are Tulip type routes, are around 100miles long, some have stops points for refreshments/site seeing and all are easy to follow. I also have a have a half finished route idea that travels around Kielder water.

Perhaps something can be put together for next year.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:20 pm 

Sounds a good idea. We can all manage tulip diagrams I'm sure, the North East sounds great. We can end the run with a goth night in Whitby. :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:20 pm 

Great idea, very keen.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

I think this is an absolutely splendid idea & I would certainly be up for it. I may even be able to talk her indoors into coming too.

I think the Borders is a brilliant idea for all the reasons that Al put forward, but don't see any reason that if we have enough interest we could do different areas each year.

Keeping it informal would be the way to go, but even then there are certain liability issues that would need to be addressed.

I think the thing that attracts me to such an event is that A) It would give people a greater chance to meet, chat & dare I say it share a drink or two.

And B) Give some of the members who don't want to wreck their car round Blyton a brilliant chance to get involved.

I would give an event of this type 100% support & would be happy to make it an "Official" MK1 Perf. Cons. Event.

Mark F

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 pm 

I can vouch for the roads mentioned, as some know I do a few touring assemblies with MG Cumbria / Wigton Motor club during the year in preference to events like Harewood, as that's what I've built my MK1's for and past tours have covered those exact routes :)
Although summer is a very busy time with our miniclub attending shows etc I'd be very interested in a days tour of the borders with other forum members.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:19 pm 

Count me in 8-)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm 

Count me in.

This picture was taken in September on the west coast of Scotland, I was in the cabriolet with the hood down all week !! My best mini run ever.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 pm 

Best get a road car built then

Pad

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:14 pm 

Biggest issue is likely to be picking a date that fits around all the other events in an increasingly busy calendar and the holiday season etc.

Early response to the general idea is encouraging though, so I'll give it some more thought than I took over my lunch :lol:

Oh, and the other benefit to North of the border, as Iain hinted at, is the glorious Scottish weather. You do all know we only say it rains all the time so we can have the place to ourselves, don't you????

Al