mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:26 am 

I am looking for some wheels for my 1980 1275GT.
I really don't want regular Rover Minilites but I seem to recall some nice 13" shallow dish Minilight type alloys fitted to these cars in period track photos. Anybody on here have any pictures of them and what the make/model is?
Also would these type of wheels ruin the handling in the same way that 13" Sportpack alloys do (tram-lining etc)

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 am 

I thought the Minilites were 12s.

Other options keeping in period would be the GKN Challenge wheels, expensive and difficult to find

Wolfrace or Cobra Supaslots, fairly cheap because very few people like them

Here's one of the modern Minilite style 12" wheels, not sure of the make

Another good looking wheel is the Compomotive wheel. Quite rare though. If I find a picture with them on a car I will post it

Attachment:
compomotivetwelvespokexx12.jpg

And here's a car running standard radials with the plastic wheel trims for cars that were not fitted with Denovos.

And there's also the 12" Dunlop D1. Again originals are quite rare, but repros are available from those blokes in the Midlands.

Have you checked out the 12" gallery on the wheel directory? There are plenty of different styles.

http://www.wheeldictionary.net/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:37 pm 

Do you mean those as fitted to the Swiftune Jon Mowatt 1275GT?
https://swiftune.com/the-two-swiftune-1 ... t-to-play/

The 13" Minator Minilite style rims used to look similar to the Swiftune style and had less offset E25 (plus 5.5" rather than 6" width) than the Rover Sportpack rims so less tram lining, arch problems, etc.
https://www.minisport.com/min41355h4s-m ... wheel.html

Last edited by mab01uk on Tue May 08, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:55 pm 

Thanks chaps. Yep the Mowatt GT has exactly what I am after. Look better IMO although I actually like the idea of wolf race lol very 80s Street machine. Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:37 pm 

I would of thought the 13" wheels would have problems catching the front wheel arches when turning if you run even standard height suspension. Fitting the later knuckle joints would help but then the car would look a bit nose high.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:54 pm 

Think about what ratio diff & cam you are going to use .. or you might just find the car will not go up the hills on 13inch Wheels?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:47 pm 

surfblue63 wrote:
I would of thought the 13" wheels would have problems catching the front wheel arches when turning if you run even standard height suspension. Fitting the later knuckle joints would help but then the car would look a bit nose high.

Not to mention the turning circle of a supertanker!!

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 am 

I always think 10" rostyles look best on the clubman.

The problem of course is that 12" rostyles for 8.4" brakes are nearly non existent, but you could use 12" steel wheels with rostyle "pie dish" metal trims

Like this: https://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-ty ... 1297251798

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:44 am 

The 13" Minilites on the Mowat and Longman cars are 5" wide, and are what we are fitting to the Pitcher GT we're building.

We found that they do rub, albeit only very slightly, on the front of a standard wheel arch when the car is run at a low height (just less than 2 fingers width between the top on the tyre and the top of the arch) and running an Avon race tyre with a very square shoulder. I reckon a road tyre might just clear as it would be slightly narrower and have a rounder shoulder.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 am 

Red Mist wrote:
The 13" Minilites on the Mowat and Longman cars are 5" wide, and are what we are fitting to the Pitcher GT we're building.

We found that they do rub, albeit only very slightly, on the front of a standard wheel arch when the car is run at a low height (just less than 2 fingers width between the top on the tyre and the top of the arch) and running an Avon race tyre with a very square shoulder. I reckon a road tyre might just clear as it would be slightly narrower and have a rounder shoulder.

Thanks Neil. Great advice. Which brand of wheel/supplier are you using? I wont be lowering the car and it will be a road car so sounds like a possibility. Cheers