mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: D1 wheels
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:19 pm 

I am unsure if I need to have my d1 alloys refurbed or just try to polish up the spokes and rim,
Here is a pic of one of them,
Anyone recommend a good but hopefully easy method to get them looking good
Thanks

Image3FE04AB6-4F4E-48B9-9858-6F13D15A3F0A by darren carr, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: D1 wheels
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:27 pm 

I've just done a set of dire condition but straight and undamaged D1's. So the real question is what are your like from the rear and inside the tyre wells? I had mine blasted to see what they were like under the crud. The blasting was a tad more severe that I'd have liked but perfectly acceptable. I laquered and sealed the rear and the wells with clear two pack by hanging them from a roof beam by string and spinning them to get a good coating on them and to keep the front faces free of the laquer.

Primed the outer between the spokes area with the modern equivalent of zinc chromate primer and then did the black with black satin finish epoxy paint and hardener. So far so good. This is where you might copy me.

The SPOKE parts of the wheels were not polished from new but left 'as-cast' according to the wisdom of the forum crowd (this is factually correct). To semi polish the rims I allowed the bare rim to slowly rotate on a slow turning tyreless hub (it wouldn't quite get into my lathe chuck......) and slowly rubbed the rim to a slight polish as it rotated. No high polish, no bull-shine, just a nice smooth polish and then, last but not least, scotchbrite/brillo pad to leave it as they were new. I really hope that some of the other D1 owners/users come on board because I have to freely admit that I got my enthusiasm and inspiration from them. And hopefully paid them back with a couple or photo articles on making new stainless wheel nuts and centres.

Good luck. It's amazing the enthusiasm that you get when you see the results.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:34 pm 

Thanks,

The backs a fine just a little pitted, i never realised the spokes and rim wasn’t highly polished. I use grey scotchbrite a lot so have plenty of those. I also have some new repro Dunlop logos for centres so should be able to clean them up ok.
Would like some stainless sleeved nuts myself would be much better than the chrome ones.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:28 pm 

I hope that the rest of the D1 flock come on board as they're a mine of info.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:

The SPOKE parts of the wheels were not polished from new but left 'as-cast' according to the wisdom of the forum crowd (this is factually correct).

Rims were polished according to the sales brochure I have

Attachment:
Dunlop2.jpg

Attachment:
Dunlop2a.jpg

Full brochure can be found here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20713&p=173909&hilit=dunlop#p173909

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by surfblue63 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:01 pm 

When I did my D1s I had them blasted to get rid of all the old paint. I then polished the spokes using micro-mesh polishing papers. I spent a couple of hours on each wheel to get a mirror finish. I then set about painting the wheels. The first one I sprayed using good old smoothrite, but the masking was a real pain, so the other three I brush painted. The polished parts were left bare. I also coated the rears in black. As for the inner rims I sanded these with 240 wet and dry to get rid of any roughness then brush painted with black smoothrite to help the tyres seal and prevent further corrosion.

The wheels were used on the road on two cars for 5 years, they are now sitting in the garage waiting for their next car. The paint has not flaked and the rims are still shiny due to me waxing the rims every time they were washed.

PS I had the centres turned from billet aluminium using an original centre as a template. These were attached as per the originals with a bolt and bracket on the back. The D motifs came from Classic Capsule.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:29 am 

If the first thing one notices when looking at the wheels is how shiny they are...they are too shiny.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 am 

Yes,rims tooooo shiny I'd say. Maybe in fairness I ought to have said machine finish. But the spokes were left as-cast - but you get my drift

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:06 am 

I guess it is down to your interpretation of a "Polished Finish". Mine is mirror, not machined. Also looking at the wheel Daz posted the finish on the face of the spokes looks the same as the finish on the rims, and come to think of it all the ones I had when making my set up were the same, the finish on the spokes was the same as on the rims. The inner parts between the spoke faces are rough cast, as is the rear of the wheel. The rim where the tyre is seated was machined.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:32 pm 

My input, using an original set of d1s to roll the mini round the workshop. The surface finish is definitely different between the rim and spokes