mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My latest addition
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:55 pm 

Acquired another MK1 S...pretty sound car.....some rust in the sills/front floor. Unfortunately, the car was involved in an front end accident way back...front panels were replaced with MK2/3 panels so they will be replaced.
The rear parcel shelf is my big issue....someone 'hacked' I MEAN HACKED....two large holes to install speakers. I do have a perfect rear shelf here. Thought about using it as a replacement....fairly big job due to the panel being wider than the distance bewteen the rear side windows.
Other possibilty is to do a partial replacement.
So, anyone on here who has replaced arear parcel shelf???....appreciate some tips on doing this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: My latest addition
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:16 pm 

parcel shelf is easy to swop, you just wriggle the new one into place through the boot hole

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 pm 

Just looking at it, I'd say firstly, keep the perfect rear parcel shelf that you have. The hacked-up one (why do they let these hackers loose on cars - or even use hand tools.....) in your car is in good, solid rust free condition too (except for the holes that is). So what about finding a a knackered decent donor. Cut the smallest (square?) sections possible out of the hacked original and using that as a template cut matching sections out of the decent donor. If they're a perfect fit they'll be an easy tig or mig weld into place. Perfect. That'll be FAR easier that a complete shelf replacement I'd suggest AND you still have your good replacement to boot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:30 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Just looking at it, I'd say firstly, keep the perfect rear parcel shelf that you have. The hacked-up one (why do they let these hackers loose on cars - or even use hand tools.....) in your car is in good, solid rust free condition too (except for the holes that is). So what about finding a a knackered decent donor. Cut the smallest (square?) sections possible out of the hacked original and using that as a template cut matching sections out of the decent donor. If they're a perfect fit they'll be an easy tig or mig weld into place. Perfect. That'll be FAR easier that a complete shelf replacement I'd suggest AND you still have your good replacement to boot

Peter, that is what I'd prefer....regarding the 'hacker'......one forum member suggested shooting that culprit...that would be too quick...hacking would be better LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 pm 

Wow! Talk about complete lack of trying to cut a decent speaker hole, what a butcher job.

In fact, you'd think it's easier just cutting a nice round hole than that! :shock:

Project sounds great, Dermott. Have any other photos of the car? What year/engine size is it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:54 pm 

Are you sure that car did not compete in a Syrian rally dermot ? :lol:
Mind you it enhances the value with rally history .
Seriously tho , the shelf’s do pop in and out quite easily so not too bad of a job.
Not wishing to state the obvious but I assume the donor shelf has 11 flutes ?
Still not a disaster as a friends 61 shelf had badly rotted so he used a 9 fluter donor and welded the extra flute in each end and you would not know the difference now so anything’s doable

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 pm 

The parcel shelf is about the only decent panel on HOY :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm 

As others have said, it goes in through the boot opening. it's quite a tight fit and I had to bolt in in place before spot welding. It was the last panel fitted to my shell.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 pm 

I have another rear shelf from a 67 S that was scrapped....decided to use it as it was a bit hacked in the middle. Decided to try doing what Peter suggested.
I just spot tacked it in place before I decide if I like the results.
So far is looks good. If I am not happy with it I can use my full panel as back up and do the pop up from inside the boot.

For those who asked...it is a late Aug 67 with MK2 rear quarter windows...everything there...I pumped up the hydro....been sitting at 325 now for a few weeks. The front sub frame has the PN stenciled on the side of the frame under the rad!!!! Never seen that before.

What is interesting about this car is the fact it is beyond the VIN number for silver displacers. Well, upon checking...it does have silver 21A2012's on the front but double blue on the rears!!!! Nice project as everything is dated correctly. Interior was done in Peters' favorite color...BLACK...Yugh! So, a new Newton Green/grey interior and roof liner is on the way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 pm 

Finished the other side today....fairly pleased with the repair......think it will be fine when complete. This way I still have my other shelf panel as a spare. This was Peter's idea...good tip...thanks P. ;)

Last edited by 360gts on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.