mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

How old are you?
15-25 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
25-35 10%  10%  [ 27 ]
35-45 16%  16%  [ 41 ]
45-55 35%  35%  [ 90 ]
55-65 24%  24%  [ 62 ]
65-75 13%  13%  [ 34 ]
75-85 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
85-105 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 259
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:42 pm 

Borrowed a friend's '60 Mini to take a potential to Blackpool for the day. Turned up at her house in Leeds to be greeted by her obese mother who joined us and sat in the front seat for the day.

Being Blackpool it rained. Got lost in fog on the way back. Kerbed it at one point near Otley and got a bollocking from the mother for doing so.

Never asked them out again! :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:34 pm 

bmcman.ie wrote:
you missed the point, once before and once after :lol:

Ahhhh........ :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:34 pm 

olddave wrote:
Borrowed a friend's '60 Mini to take a potential to Blackpool for the day. Turned up at her house in Leeds to be greeted by her obese mother who joined us and sat in the front seat for the day.

Being Blackpool it rained. Got lost in fog on the way back. Kerbed it at one point near Otley and got a bollocking from the mother for doing so.

Never asked them out again! :oops: :oops:

Could have been a bit of mother and daughter action there. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:27 pm 

I was driving through the snow and slush along the dark Savanake Forest road (A345?) from Marlborough to wherever it was one late winter evening in my Mini Cooper and came upon a dark blue Midget with lights on but had dimmed to oil-lamp brilliance! Stopped and young girl told me her boyfriend had gone to get some help half an hour ago and would be back soon. She was bitterly cold, believe me! Turned mini round and shone lights into bonnet. It was like a drowned rat. Sort of dried out distributor and wiped the leads over with an old t shirt - as you do while she sat in Mini getting warm. Took wringing wet plugs out with my only tool(?) which she tried to dry off - the plugs, not my tool -. After 20 mts she confessed that she didn't have a boyfriend but told me that as she was frightened stiff of the dark and situation generally. Got it started after a fashion and running like a stuck pig but she said if I followed her home to Burbage 10 miles or so away, she'd make us something to eat. Beautiful little cottage on the green, personal number on the Midget GDM - (McVittie - yes, that's the one.....). And before long we'd both had a nice dinner and were both having something extra to eat. One good turn deserves another - and another - and another. We were together for the rest of the spring and summer but she was well out of my financial league. Thanks little white Mini - and the little blue Midget!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:01 am 

January 1987 and I had some part time work at a bodyshop in Andover. I lived in Newbury and my wheels were my red and white Cooperlike. It was snowy, wintery and plain bastard cold and up at 6.30 in the dark, fire the Min up and get to Andover for 8, along the A343 though Highclere, Hurstbourne Tarrant, up that massive hill and down towards El Alamein*.
The Mini was the best tool for the job in those conditions but not when the points closed up at 6.30 on a freezing night. Eventually conked out and I had to remove the splash guard, cap and open the points up again, all in the dark by the side of the road. The language was quite spectacular.

Another time, I was taking this girl out from college. I'd been chatting her up for weeks and getting nowhere but I must have worn her down. So it's a pissing wet day and we're motoring along and I see a massive puddle - but too late. Being a 1960 shell it had those big circular metal plugs in the front footwells. I hit the puddle at a decent speed - 50 or more - and the water pressure popped the plugs out, lifted the carpet and showered everything, including us, in muddy water. It was like a bomb going off. Of course she was sat in the passenger seat with her feet on the seat edge and knees under her chin (why do some women do that?) and the rest was history, including that date.

Me laughing probably didn't help.:lol: :roll:

*It was Enham Alamein really.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:21 am 

Perhaps a new Robin Askwith film should be made, “Confessions of a Mini Owner”!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:23 pm 

Great story Peter. :)

I've been involved with Mini's for roughly ten years, initially through a non-mechanically inclined friend who has one (that I work on now and then), and as an actual owner for the last six years. Lifelong petrolhead though, just with other brands.

I'm part of the largest numerical group in this survey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12