mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

How old are you?
15-25 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
25-35 10%  10%  [ 27 ]
35-45 16%  16%  [ 42 ]
45-55 34%  34%  [ 90 ]
55-65 24%  24%  [ 62 ]
65-75 13%  13%  [ 35 ]
75-85 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
85-105 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 261
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 pm 

App K wrote:
surfblue63 wrote:
App K wrote:
I eventually went all posh and hand painted the car in gloss tekaloid coach enamel.Black of course.
Took me all bloody night. :D

I did that with one of my Volkswagens. It took two weeks to do 8 coats, 4 base and 4 top. I did the first base coat without thinning the paint, a big mistake as it took ages to rub it flat to get the brush marks out.

That stuff used to set like Japanese knacker lacquer as we used to call it.
Boy it was tough.

Last one from me tonight (and getting off post). My £50 bargain had been hand painted in black tar. Took weeks to get it off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am 

Just turned 71 restoring an Aussie mk1 S second car at 20 was an A35, 3rd was an Aussie 1100 then nothing English ( I live in Aust) till early 1990's then mini for son and bought S and have been restoring it on and off for nearly 30 yrs. Is that a record ????

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 pm 

I painted a 1956 oval screen Beetle in non drip gloss once. A very hot day in 1983, rubbed it all down with 400 grit and set to with a roller and a brush. It was bloody shiny - thank Christ for a still day with no wind. It was done outside in a yard. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 pm 

olddave wrote:

Last one from me tonight (and getting off post). My £50 bargain had been hand painted in black tar. Took weeks to get it off.

I bet that's long gone now! That's just how I remember these in scrapyards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:07 pm 

Costafortune wrote:
olddave wrote:

I bet that's long gone now! That's just how I remember these in scrapyards.

When it broke its back I rebuilt it into a Clubman Estate shell. The paint guy at work did a freebie respray just before I got made redundant.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:37 pm 

Great pics! The Clubman is Q plated?

I once bought a Clubman Estate on a V plate for £30 in 1985 - six years old. But it wasn't - it was a Belgian built car imported in 1980, and was a 1974 car with the 1100 engine. Still bloody cheap though. It had hit a kerb so hard it had buckled the floor so it was broken up. The rod change engine and box went into a Mark 1 Cooperlike I was building.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 pm 

Yes, ended up with a 'ministry required' Q. Silly really as I used a K reg scrapper for the estate bits. I couldn't use the log book cause it's illegal :roll:

Had to move on to a Metro when the kids got too big for it. Sold it for £300 to a guy in York and never saw it again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 pm 

Costafortune wrote:
That's just how I remember these in scrapyards.

Literally! I took more than a couple of relatively rust free Mk1s from local scrappy's , the usual thing was the gearbox had gone or the rear subby, that was enough to scrap it. The usual problem was the chain rash from being picked up in the yard. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:39 pm 

Pete wrote:
Costafortune wrote:
That's just how I remember these in scrapyards.

Literally! I took more than a couple of relatively rust free Mk1s from local scrappy's , the usual thing was the gearbox had gone or the rear subby, that was enough to scrap it. The usual problem was the chain rash from being picked up in the yard. :(

Yep......who wanted sliding windows in the 80's ???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:27 am 

Quote:
Yep......who wanted sliding windows in the 80's ???

Me!! I loved 'em in my MK1 back in the '80s and I love 'em still in the Land Rover I now have...they're great and usually come with a free garden growing in the runners!!

Oh, yeh, I'm 53, had a few Mini's back in the '80s including a '67 MK1 Morris Mini Minor which I sort of still have, well more a pile of bits, body shell is long gone though, got splattered in an accident. I also had a '69 MK2 Austin Cooper, I think I paid around £150 or so for it in the '80s, was a runner and everything, still had its original shell but the engine was a 1275 by the time I got it and it would of been an ideal candidate for restoration but alas I just chopped it up and used some of the bits on my MK1. I still have the 120mph 'S' speedo and Les Leston steering wheel that it had been fitted to it and were consequently put into my MK1. It also had a full John Aley works type cage, front and rear sections, which I also kept and still had until recently, unfortunately I had left it at my parents house and my mother scopped most of it in the tip!!! I then had various other Mini's until the early '90s when I moved on to R5 Gordini (crappest car I've ever had!!), then to an MG Metro which got squashed when a wall fell on it, Rover Metro GTA 16v (which I actually thought was a great little car), after that it's just been boring euroboxes.
Nowadays whilst I don't have a Mini I still have a soft spot for them. My plan always was to get another but bugger me the damned things are a tad costly nowadays so I'm not sure if it'll happen. I've had a Lightweight Land Rover for the last 20 years so that satisfies my yearnings for scabby, rusty BL shite for now... ;) :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next