mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:59 pm 

Has anybody really studied the wording of event entry forms?
I queried one by passing it to my insurance broker. In a nutshell it is down to you the entrant to have a public liability event insurance in place and therefore indemnify the organisers of any liability.
Many of you will have just scribbled your signature on the bottom of the entry form unaware of the potential consequences.

I can purchase a policy through my broker at the cost of over £140, more than it costs me to insure one of my cars for an embarrassingly high agreed value.....

Surely it is the event organisers responsibility to put a policy in place?
And whilst I’m in rant mode, why should we, the exhibitors be charged to take our cars, without which there wouldn’t even be a show?

I’ll be attending informal gatherings of enthusiasts, but I’m afraid I won’t be signing any forms.

Ok. Rant over!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Couldn't agree more.

PLI is, to coin a phrase, a liability :)

More & more events are slipping this in. It is however highly questionable as to whether the requirement (I have been told) would be enforceable. As under most circumstances they (the organisers) through their PLI insurance (which they MUST have) or you through your regular motoring policy would be covered for most reasonable eventualities.

I also totally agree with your comments about being charged to attend / display at shows. As a matter of principal I simply won't do it under any circumstances.

In a previous life I was involved with military vehicles & we were often PAID fuel money & expenses to attend events!

Footballers don't have to pay to play footie on a Saturday afternoon, musicians aren't charged to play at concerts so why should the attractions at a classic car show have to pay for the privileged of being an attraction?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:06 pm 

its a fact that many clubs dont have liability insurance and just tick the box to say they have. I'm not one to take the risk so thats what our subs are for, its my arse on the line as THE club to all intents and purposes.

As for not paying to enter, you're surely limiting the number of things you go to? and didnt i see you at Seaburn last year.. ;)

i dont begrudge the £3 a couple of our local shows charge us when the public pay £6/7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

As for not paying to enter, you're surely limiting the number of things you go to? and didn't I see you at Seaburn last year..

Saltburn isn't just a car show, I was paying for taking part in an event, not just standing in a field so people who knew F(*&*all could tell me what's wrong with my car.

And PERSONALLY I do object to paying to put my car on a stand at a typical classic car, standing in a field talking type event. The Public entrance fee should cover any expenses incurred by the organisers.

TBH, I can't remember the last time I took a car to this type of event, I used to, but I just got sick of them & being made to pay to attend was the final nail in the coffin, for me.

BTW, I paid a LOT more than the suggested £15 to the organisers of saltburn. So I'm not just a tight arse!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:31 pm 

Yeah I paid for my mate who didn't go, (just because he fell down some stairs) was an expensive cup!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:33 pm 

As for paying to display, depends what the event is. If it's a motorsport event like the Silverstone Classic then I totally understand why they're not giving free tickets away to "classics' cos the racing is the main attraction. If it's a local classic car show then obviously it should be free or nominal fee but local shows I think are not as popular as they used to be due to an over population of events nowadays and they have to turn a profit or they die.

Some motorsport events don't charge clubs like Castle Combe, Oulton and Shelsley Walsh classic/historic events etc cos they've identified that the cars add to the attraction and bring people in (though some did take the p*ss with the crap they brought! :lol: ) but the ones that do charge sometimes struggle for support as Chumly discovered when they decided to start charging classic owners a few years ago and the clubs literally all voted with their feet. The event died off slowly thereafter and is now no more!! A real shame.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:22 pm 

Sadly we now live in an age when it is always someone else's fault and lawyers may get involved by "ambulance chasing." If an event is organised by a club which is run by unpaid volunteers and something goes wrong - for example, this Easter our local annual Point to Point meeting was cancelled at the last minute due to adverse weather conditions which waterlogged the course and spectator areas which meant that in the event of a medical emergency local paramedics and ambulances might not have been able to enter and leave the field - the organising "persons" might have then been liable for any financial claims.
I was made aware of this in the late 1960's when Motor Clubs run by volunteers realised that they might be personally liable for any financial claims if something went wrong on an event; many clubs became Limited companies to reduce the risk to it's volunteers. My advice is, if in doubt and an organiser get PL cover; it is possible that your personal household insurance provides PL cover; it did when my son cycled into the back of a neighbours car and caused damage, to the car not him!
Even static displays might create a claim; door closing on finger?
I do agree that owners of interesting vehicles attract punters but think that if exhibiting a vehicle a payment of an entry fee might create a contract to receive protection of the organisers PL insurance. I'm not sure that owners should have PL insurance but maybe it is covered under the vehicle insurance, if it is a static show and the risks of a claim are lower.
Personal thoughts but I would welcome other views especially from members who are connected with the Insurance world.
Cliff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:32 pm 

As owners of classics, we used to get free entry to the Croft Nostalgia /HSCC race meeting. In recent years it’s cost us £15 for the weekend but that’s still an absolute bargain for what’s on offer including priveleged parking and a few parade laps. It’s also less than the punters on foot without classics pay. PL wise our attendance is covered by the MCR. A few years ago some people with classics moaned about where the camping area was but they’re probably regretting it now as there’s no camping at all for them! Eejits that don’t know when they’re onto a good thing :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:39 pm 

My issue is with signing to say that I personally have PLI.
My broker tells me the car is covered in that respect, but I personally aren’t. This is where the lines get blurred.
Are you signing in the belief that the car is insured with a limited PLI, but the way it is worded is stating that You personally are???

The absolute pits of car shows is the one in Wakefield Park, you have to pay and sign, ok I think some of it goes to charity, BUT it’s right next to a big housing estate and the public can walk in FOC and cause havoc. I haven’t taken a car there since 1999!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:53 pm 

I'm not quite sure how a vehicle can have PL cover. Surely it is the person entering into the insurance contract. Personally I'd change my broker!