mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Police mini's
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:40 pm 

Thanks Peter. Reverse engineering, or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:55 pm 

Time Bandit wrote:
Here's one taken at the Cumbria Classic Show in the '80s, VKA 303H. Also have a pic of VKA 290H, also taken at one of the early Cumbria Classic Shows, this one was just in OEW/Black without any of its Plod markings etc, haven't got this pic scanned yet.

Did all the VKA series have Mk3 bootlids?
Who knows the date/ chassis number of change please?
Presnell does not mention them in context of Mk2's
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm 

Pete's line up of Manchester Mk2 Cooper S are in fact JNB 1F, JNB 2F, JNB 3F and JNB 4F - the second policeman in the photo is my father. The photos were taken early 1968 in Birchfields Park, Fallowfield for the Manchester Evening News. As my father noted Manchester City Police cars always had good registration numbers because the Police were responsible for the VRO! I'll post another photo in the same series.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:02 pm 

I think this is an interior shot of a JNB car..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:33 pm 

Yes I think you are right Pete - I have a photo of one of them on a dyno. Interesting speedo and instrument panel with "p" lights. And what do you suppose the horn button modification is - for the Pye Westminster radio?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm 

Can anyone tell us who fitted the cop speedometers as shown? It's always been a bit of an enigma because Smiths had calibrated police mini speedos available for the factory, together with a certificate of accuracy attached to the vehicle file against the instrument serial number that remained with it - or until the instrument failed the 3% accuracy across the range test. Some forces wouldn't accept a 2mph reading, it had to be 1MPH graduations or nothing. (they hadn't invented eye-line parallax back then!) so Smiths supplied them too.

What were the other gauges. Can see water temp at top left, Amps? top right. Fuel ? and oil pressure?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:38 pm 

Another Manchester car having it's speedo checked on the rollers...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:44 pm 

Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!
Peter Laidler wrote:
Can anyone tell us who fitted the cop speedometers as shown? It's always been a bit of an enigma because Smiths had calibrated police mini speedos available for the factory, together with a certificate of accuracy attached to the vehicle file against the instrument serial number that remained with it - or until the instrument failed the 3% accuracy across the range test. Some forces wouldn't accept a 2mph reading, it had to be 1MPH graduations or nothing. (they hadn't invented eye-line parallax back then!) so Smiths supplied them too.

What were the other gauges. Can see water temp at top left, Amps? top right. Fuel ? and oil pressure?

From what I remember Durham's S's did'nt have speedo's like that :cry: A friend wrote one of the Mk1's off I might still have some of the wires out of the harness lying around. I must admit I like that with exception to the coiled cable, how many turns lock to lock on a mini :?:

Peter I think also in those (good old days) the traffic patrol cars used to usually have an observer sitting directly in front of a speedo like that one on the navigators side so no parallax (allegedly) when they booked you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 pm 

The speedo shown isn't on the co-drivers side Ron, it's in the central position....., dead in line with the central ash tray. Someone explained the odd horn/speaker switch contraption a few posta ago regarding other cop cars.

The oblong speaker on the left side of the parcel tray was a standard PYE type radio speaker used pretty-well everywhere including in MoD radio sets fitted to tanks and other stuff. I would imagine that most of the stuff inside the radios were the same. Some of the MoD stuff was just militarised Pye Cambridge, Oxford and Westminster stuff. No doubt somewhere in the collecting world there'll be a Police Radio collector. The Army Clansman and tank/vehicle hand-sets were exactly the same used in cop cars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:41 pm 

Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!
^
"The speedo shown isn't on the co-drivers side Ron, it's in the central position....., dead in line with the central ash tray." So in that situation you could get a parallax error.

I know that peter the point that I was making was that most of the Road traffic cars including Durham and that I know South Yorkshire used to have a callibrated speedo on the passenger side and before the cut in crew numbers (mid 70's) were always two up, I also believe that they usualy would not go to court unless the car was double crewed.
There was a measured mile marked off in tenths, just behind my house where they used to check their speedo's weekly, and after they had booked anyone (end of shift) :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next