mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Police mini's
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:44 pm 

Here's one taken at the Cumbria Classic Show in the '80s, VKA 303H. Also have a pic of VKA 290H, also taken at one of the early Cumbria Classic Shows, this one was just in OEW/Black without any of its Plod markings etc, haven't got this pic scanned yet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:59 pm 

Any of you number plate experts tell us where EPK XXX E originates from as in Ivor's post (previous page). The survival rate of the OKD and SKD's is relatively high. Not so the others I'd say. Liverpool were still hand painting the POLICE sign onto their cars into the mid 90's until they got wise to stick-on fablon letters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:04 pm 

EPK is a Surrey registration but EPK was not issued with an E suffix.

I thought the first big batch of Liverpool cars was registered KKD - E :?:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

Also VKA310H is still around

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm 

Simon776 wrote:
EPK is a Surrey registration but EPK was not issued with an E suffix.

I thought the first big batch of Liverpool cars was registered KKD - E :?:

Think you are right - found these pictures:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:27 pm 

Like one of those nice Triumph 650 saints..., yes please! That was probably the whole vehicle fleet in 1967. Buckinghamshire had an unmarked Cooper S PPP962D too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:06 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Like one of those nice Triumph 650 saints..., yes please! That was probably the whole vehicle fleet in 1967. Buckinghamshire had an unmarked Cooper S PPP962D too

Leeds had Velocette "noddy bikes" and a couple of Daimler SP250s to chase the fast boys. :|

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:22 pm 

A small gripe is that there are so many pictures of the original correct markings, why don't the restorers take notice and put the signs on as they were originally. BMC were quite ruthless in their discount policies. If you were ordering (60 rings a bell....?) a lot, such as the SEB, Army, the AA, NHS etc etc you could negotiate with BMC. Below that you were at the hands of the local BMC agent and his swing with BMC factory sales.

Discount policies.......... To be honest, when I went to buy my last-of-the-line Mini RCS500, the sales girl at nearby Hartwells, wouldn't give me 1 penny discount for cash, no trade in , not registered, no finance, don't care about the colour - no nothing. I'll take it home on a trailer. She told me with a straight face that these last mini\s were flying off the shelves and I should grab the opportunity to get one while I had the chance. Over a year later the following summer and after mini production had long ceased the local Oxford papers showed almost 1000 unsold MGRover cars including hundreds of unsold and unloved mini's and Coopers lined up on the old USAF runways at Heyford, with grass growing up to the bottoms of the sills. So much for selling like hot cakes and flying off the shelves. It was reported that a large Mini tuning centre/garage bought a lot of them at a discount they were already rusting out where they stood!

Last edited by Peter Laidler on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 pm 

The only photo I have of Gary Shaws re-shelled cop car OKD 706F taken in 1987 on a Derbyshire region MCR trip to Beaulieu. Probably not much of the original mk2 left. I wonder where it is now ?....and Gary ?.....anyone here remember him...looked a bit like Freddie Mercury :D

Last edited by spoon.450 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:10 pm 

PK is a Guilford reg. I am doing the number from memory and everyone referred to the car as EPK. The car was definitely an ex police car and was told it came from Liverpool. Definitely a Mk1, but well hacked about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next