mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 pm 

I got a copy of the race program for the first ever race in Mondello Park. Below is some of the pages. A few old names you guy will remember. 50th anniversary coming up in a few days! There was 2 saloon classes, under 1250cc and over 1250cc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Freddy Heaney is still alive and living in Portugal.

Or "Mad Freddy Heaney" as he was known in the day :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:58 am 

Thanks Neville, good to know Freddy is still with us. That race program is very interesting. Lots of Minis from the North went down, Archie (Da) Phillips had two cars down and the entrant was Leslie Porter Limited. Leslie Porter had a garage at Victoria Street Belfast and one at Nutts Corner Airport. Freddy Heaney's entrant was Donnelly's who were at Armagh Road Caledon. Tommy Brennan had a nice Downton car and I think he was a brother of Jim Brennan. I wonder why was David and Nicky Lindsay, Adrian Boyd, Tommy Reid and Joey Greenan not listed as taking part. All these four were top runners back in 1968.

I also see John Watson and Alec Poole taking part :D :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 pm 

Hi Alan,
Ernie Kirkpatrick & Jim Brennan are not names that I am familiar with. I spoke to Robert Dickson earlier this afternoon and asked him but they are not known to him either. I remember Jim talking about Freddie Heaney one night and he thought that he was living in Portugal.
What a great race programme to share with everyone! It is almost a Who’s Who of Irish racing greats with a couple of omissions as Alan states.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am 

Blue1300gt wrote:
Hi Alan,
Ernie Kirkpatrick & Jim Brennan are not names that I am familiar with. I spoke to Robert Dickson earlier this afternoon and asked him but they are not known to him either. I remember Jim talking about Freddie Heaney one night and he thought that he was living in Portugal.
What a great race programme to share with everyone! It is almost a Who’s Who of Irish racing greats with a couple of omissions as Alan states.

Robert,

I must ask Elgin of the whereabouts of Ernie Kirkpatrick and Jim Brennan. I recall that Ernie Kirkpatrick was one of the first Mini drivers over here to run 13-inch wheels at the Rallycross. I also recall Ernie did Hotrod racing and Ivor Greenwood built his engines. Terrell Arnold was matey with Ernie and too did Hotrod racing in Minis at a very high level. I think all these blokes were Antrim men?

Alan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 pm 

If anyone knows it will be Elgin! I doubt if there is anyone in Northern Ireland with an interest in Minis or competed with an A series who hasn’t darkened his door at some point.