mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm 

Nevsmini wrote:
Anyone have any pictures of Kane’s premises from back in the day?

i spoke to robert dixon last week and asked him this question, and unfortunalty the answer is no

he says that andrew kane has a scrap book, but the pictures tend to be the ones of the stands at the shows (that are on the internet now)

as robert said, in those days it was work, you didnt give any thought to people wanting to see photos 40-50 years later, a real shame, i bet the locked 'downton stores' (that only two people had a key for!) would have been something to see.

he did, instead of having a motherlode of photos, tell me two stories.

1) every saturday morning there would be a queue of cars that had come over the border, all waiting to have minilights fitted, they would open up, flick the tyres off the steel rims, put them on the minilights and the lads would drive back over the border with no checks or duty to pay(brexit style... :lol: )

i asked him what they did with all the steel s rims and the somewhat pained answer was they simply threw them into the footings of the new building that was been built, he said there must be hundreds of them under the concrete floor!!!

2) in a similar 'brexit' vein, a lad at kanes had a beetle, he used to 'deliver' heads and carbs to the lads in the south by hiding them behind the back seat and driving over the border! :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 pm 

Unfortunately, most of my old pictures from Kirkistown and other interesting venues in County Down have gone the way of the Do Do bird. I did come upon another program from Aug 26th 67.
Here is the front cover showing Robert Rennicks and Archie Phillips battling it out at Kirkistown.
There is ad. from Kanes in this program but no actual pictures.
Andrew actually bought my Green/white 1071 in Aug 67 (4605 MZ) The car remained in N.Ireland for a number of years. It is now in England...however, re-shelled...painted red and sports a 1275 engine. Apparently, it has been used in some rallying events in England. I ran this car at Kirstown myself in 65/66...was a young student at the time. The car was given some additional mods at Kanes during my ownership...not sure if it qualifies as a Downton car...... but it did have a Downton plate on the rocker cover.
In addition, remember every Saturday morning...a few of us young lads would take the trolley bus down into the center of Belfast to visit Paddy Hopkirk's little store to drool and dream.......(think it was Church Street).
The store was tiny...barely enough room for all three of us to move around. Anyone in N. Ireland have any pictures of Paddy's speed shop in Church street.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 pm 

I have a picture of Kane’s showroom that I will post up once I have worked out how to do it. I took a picture of it on my phone. Where did I get it - hanging up in Robert’s office!!
Robert lent me an old file last week that Jim McClements had given him a few years ago. There are a few old 1960’s brochures in it and a copy of a road test of the bronze yellow Mini Clubman that is on Kane’s Ulster Motorshow stand.
Another story I heard many years ago was a Downton tuned Midget in for a service that was taken out on test and ended up going through a hedge, fortunately with minimal damage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Blue1300GT, if you want to email me the pic I can post it for you.

Regards,

mark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 am 
Site Admin

A couple of images from Blue1300GT

Kane's "shop front" & a flier for their tuning services.

M