mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:33 pm 

Just been under the mini and noticed the handbrake cables are touching the body and have already rubbed through the paint (only been on a couple of months and only put handbrake on and off a few times to adjust the brakes)

Anyone else come across this or have i done something wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:52 pm 

I know that it's a palliative and not a cure as such but couldn't you attach a hard nylon 'rubbing strip' to cure it. There's enough thread on the retaining bolts to add and secure a nylon whatsit piece that would run UNDER the cable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:59 pm 

I think this issue is normal .. it is just the same on my twin cable handbrake cars.. i just stick some silicone grease on the area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm 

Thanks chaps. That was going to be the solution Peter as long as I hadn't done anything wrong, which going off what polar says it seems I haven't

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm 

peter just what i did,

used a short length of fuel hose (about 3-4 cm long), slit if down its length on one side and clipped it over the cable, works fine, you could also smear a bit of grease in the hose to help it slide.

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:07 pm 

Good idea. The trouble with that as I can see it is that the hose will probably/might slide rearwards and you'll be back to square one. Once it's slipped rearwards under constant tightening and releasing it won't be able to slip forwards between the cable and body. Maybe not but worth keeping an eye on. I'll be checking mine tomorrow now and do something similar but will anchor the hose somehow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm 

This is a picture of the underneath my 62 Riley Elf..Original car. They had two pieces of tar type padding fitted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 pm 

Just following this up for anyone suffering from the same condition, this is how I sorted it. A piece of 3mm nylon plate to keep it off the floor. Not sure it will last long before it wears through so will keep an eye on it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:58 am 

GREAT idea Callum. That's my next job, this weekend when it's off the floor having the slave laid-up-for-the winter wheels/tyres replaced. Maybe someone with an hour or two on his hands to spare ought to gather together all the threads linked to HANDBRAKE CABLE TROUBLES and put them all into one easily get-to wotsit for computer thicko's like me to access at the push of a button

Last edited by Peter Laidler on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Nice solution Callum.