mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:25 pm 

Does anyone subscribe to the digital edition of Miniworld?

What's it like to read digitally?

It is possible to print an article from it?

Looks like a much better price than the print version, especially for me in the US.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:58 pm 

The paper versions are so much smaller now, I think it's inevitable that lots of magazines will go digital in the end for cost reasons.

In fact I even mooted the idea recently to a couple of fellow scribblers of an independant online mag for the stuff we're all into!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:10 pm 

I subscribe to both Miniworld and Mini Magazine via Magzter. I have the app on my iPad and it is great being able to zoom in etc if required. Not tried printing but I guess you could screenshot.

I got fed up of having paper copies everywhere and trying to find places that sold the mags. Online is cheaper as well.

You can buy one off copies to try it out. I just download and read offline and delete, if I want to go back I can download again.

Magzter was the only app that had both magazines listed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 pm 

I'm in the USA and I've been subscribed to Mini Magazine digital via the Zinio app since 2015. It's really easy to read on iPad or desktop (web browser).

Also has a mode where you can flick to text-only, which is great if you need to use a screen reader or you haven't got your reading glasses handy :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:25 am 

Reading this about magazines being available online makes me smile!

Two years ago I resigned as webmaster of a Mini club over this very question. Since then I have let my membership of the club lapse too so I write this as a complete outsider. When webmaster and hence a committee member I suggested that the club should consider two types of membership. One was the traditional one that included a hard copy of the club magazine and the other was e-membership whereby the member would not get a hard copy of the magazine but would be able to read it online. I could see that e-membership might prove particularly attractive to members living abroad. They would get the online magazine at much the same time as those receiving hard copy versions instead of having to often wait weeks to receive it. For e-members distribution and printing costs would also be much reduced although aware that there would not necessarily be pro rata reductions in the cost of printing because of a lower print run. However e-membership could still be offered at a lower price because overall there would be less costs involved. I even argued that with e-membership more people might be inclined to join the club especially those living abroad so at the end of the day the club might not be any worse off financially. It could even swing in the club’s favour!

I tried to get the idea discussed at committee level but without success as I was told that it had previously been discussed by the club but exactly when I was never able to find out. It doesn’t matter now anyway.

All I will say is that whether we like it or not more and more things will be published on line. It is the way of the world so there is little point in clubs burying their heads in the sand thinking that it will go away. Sorry fellow Mini enthusiasts if you subscribe to that thinking, it won’t. E-membership might not be for you personally but it will be for an increasing number of people so should not be dismissed.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:00 pm 

Although I personally do prefer to have a paper copy in my hands, I completely agree with you Graham.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:37 pm 

The trouble is with most mags I'm interested in is that they're now over a fiver in some cases and often don't contain enough of interest to get me to part with a fiver, I can usually read what I need to in about five minutes in WH Smith or the motorway services., especially the Mini titles. If there's an interview or an article I'm really into I'll pay up but for the most part I end up throwing them away when I've read them or you end up with a whole world of paper in your loft (like I haven't already!!).

Digital is the future for magazines, probably newspapers aswell and I don't think being a luddite about it helps at all as Graham suggests. The main objection I have are the bloody pop up ads many seem to feature, and in the case of car club online mags they should make sure they are also archived. The big advantages are that everyone can read them on release no matter where they live, the costs are lower, they don't have to be limited in size and you can access them anywhere.

There's lots of people/clubs who just do not like the digital platforms, usually because they reached their senior years perfectly happily without them. I've got mates who still refuse to use email, but I suppose you don't miss what you've never had! The club Graham refers to is the MCR (Im also an ex member of course) and the irony is that they used to have such a vibrant, informative and fun forum that grew from something that initially resembled a teleprinter all those years ago but has died on it's arse so the digital age is certainly not for everyone is it, it's not mandatory!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:50 pm 

Funny this popped up, earlier today I just bought all the Mini World’s from Jan 2011 to April 2018 for £55 on the iPad app. Great Value! I have the 12.9” iPad so it’s like reading the actual mag with the added bonus of be able to zoom in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 pm 

Nevsmini wrote:
the added bonus of be able to zoom in.

Good point! Useful for Mini perving. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:39 am 

That once great music paper, the NME, finally gave up printing the other week. They had even become a free sheet in the final years, now it's just a web site.

I see advertising gets a mention in other posts. Well the days of free internet are just about finished. You either have to put up with pop-ups or pay a subscription now to use the web. I blame that Zuckerberg for creating his own highly lucrative advert laden internet on the world wide web.