mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am 

;) Come on guys they did it with ouwer Classic Mini so be proud of it :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:37 pm 

A modern day Wood & Pickett?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:02 pm 

If they have de-seamed the (new) shell and are using the original registrations are they not (in the UK) potentially putting themselves in IVA territory ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 pm 

Will this thread last as long as last years thread?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18723&p=159024&hilit=mini+remastered#p159024

So it's taken a year to get the first customer cars finished? I thought they had 2000 enquiries and were going to do 250 cars a year!!!!!!!!!

PS It still looks a bit iffy with the big wheels and those crappy Chinese style led rear lamps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:56 am 

mab01uk wrote:

Indeed, although DB minis are 100% superior build & quality control underneath the pizazz.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm 

WPWERKS wrote:
mab01uk wrote:

Indeed, although DB minis are 100% superior build & quality control underneath the pizazz.

So they should be 50 years down the line to be fair. A fully loaded W&P would have cost twice the price of a new Mini back in the late 60s / early 70s. This one's off the scale price wise in comparision but I suppose you'd expect it if the cars are so amazingly good. There's so many other options for those fortunate to have £75K to splash out, five restored Mk1s, three original Coopers, two original Ss, two Swiftune Madgwicks, an original 60s Radford or W&P with change to spare or dare I say enough to build your works Mini but either way I doubt I'd bother to cross the road to look at one of DBs compared to that list! You can buy some really interesting cars for £75K!

Each to their own and good luck to them, but people have been customising Minis to an amazing standard themselves since the dawn of time, and continue to do so for a fraction of the outlay (and losing their shirt when they sell). I don't really see anything newsy here! If they're as good at selling them as they are at publicity they'll do very well!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:45 pm 

I agree Pete. It's a bit like the "Frontline MGB" you can buy isn't it. A modern take on an old established offering, Does it produce the best of both worlds or the worst?? The MGs apparently start at £86,000 :shock: I guess somebody must be buying them though?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:54 pm 

Frontline MGB........ nope, never seen one either. And you'd think that living in the ancestral home of MG, where hundreds, from all(?) over the world gather every Summer, including from Oz and the USA, that you'd see one of the 86grand Frontlines. Nope, not around these parts!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

I guess somebody must be buying them though?

We will see.

For what it's worth I reckon that this "vanity project" is like most of the kit & low production plastic fantastic Mini's of the 1960's. Loads of people design one, build a few & then discover that there is no money in it. Next step is to sell the project on or go bust.

While I will grant you it does appear that DB have sold a few of their offering, having hoovered up most of the Heritage MK1 shells, I doubt that there is much of a long term future in this exercise. They do obviously have some serious coin behind them though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:00 pm 

mk1 wrote:

While I will grant you it does appear that DB have sold a few of their offering, having hoovered up most of the Heritage MK1 shells,

They're doing Mk1s aswell??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next