mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hydrolastic fluid
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm 

I seem to re-call a discussion on Hydrolastic fluid...didn't find it in my search.
So, does anyone have the combination of chemicals/lubricants etc. that is in this product?
It is difficult to import the product now as most shippers do not take fluids.
You guys are so lucky in the UK...5 litres for around 16 pounds and free shipping ...Mini Mania in the US ....$75.00USD

Post subject: Re: Hydrolastic fluid
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

360gts wrote:
I seem to re-call a discussion on Hydrolastic fluid...didn't find it in my search.
So, does anyone have the combination of chemicals/lubricants etc. that is in this product?
You guys are so lucky in the UK...5 litres for around 16 pounds and free shipping ...Mini Mania in the US ....$75.00USD

Apparently

Because the fluid mix chosen contained alcohol, customs and excise insisted on a further additive to make it very unpleasant to drink. The official recipe for genuine BMC/MG Rover fluid is as follows:

49% alcohol
49% distilled water
1% triethanolamine phosphate
1% sodium mercaptobenzothiazole

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm 

nick@dunsdale wrote:
360gts wrote:

Apparently

Because the fluid mix chosen contained alcohol, customs and excise insisted on a further additive to make it very unpleasant to drink. The official recipe for genuine BMC/MG Rover fluid is as follows:

49% alcohol
49% distilled water
1% triethanolamine phosphate
1% sodium mercaptobenzothiazole

Thanks Nick....going to have a shot at mixing a batch...
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hummmmmmmmmmmm,

sodium mercaptobenzothiazole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 pm 

The mixture Nick posted is correct of course. I think the easiest way to make Hydrolastic fluit is to use the recommended mix of alcohol and water and add a diesel engine cooling system additive. Many diesel vehicles run their coolants for extended periods, these additives extend the anti-corrosion properties of the coolant. They can usually be purchased in small bottles.

Kelley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:43 pm 

Not sure if the Morris fluid sold today is the same stuff, but what came out of my hydrolastic system was neon green, like antifreeze.

Of course, that could have been antifreeze pumped in there at some point, I'm not sure. Finding or making a fluid alternative that isn't $75/gal would be great. Do let us know how it works out, Dermott. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:12 pm 

When I had the shop we were doing pump-ups on Metros, Maxis and Minis regularly. We used our own solution of 50% water and 50% ethylene glycol based antifreeze such as Bluecol. The Bluecol contained enough corrosion inhibitors to satisfy the requirements of hydro fluid.
In a previous life I had run a closed circuit cooling system for an electron microscope in which we had tried several additives with sometimes disastrous results. We had finally settled on a solution very similar to the one I later used in suspension systems. The only difference was that we added copper sulphate to prevent de-zincification of brass components.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:21 am 
Site Admin

we had tried several additives with sometimes disastrous results.

That's what I like to hear, people working in University with a spirit of adventure :lol:

For what it's worth, I have pumped up Hydro with 50% water / 50% Good quality antifreeze for years & have never had any issues of any sort.

I still love the sound of sodium mercaptobenzothiazole though :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 pm 

Cummins & Scania Diesel Engines in the 80,s used an anti corrosion liquid addative that was service schedule as needed into the engine coolant to stop corrosion & hot spot cavitation .. without this DCA stuff cavitation was fast eating into the engine cyl; liners .. it was available from the Cummins supplier "Fleetguard " .. this DCA stuff would probably be ideal within a water base sealed system & will stop corrosion.. yet DCA is not antifreeze but is designed to work mixed within water or antifreeze.
Could work with your home brew Hydro fluid .. contact Fleetguard to get the DCA spec;
I had a spare supply of this DCA & ran it for over 20 years in my home central heating system, and when the Heating Man drained the home heating system down there was little corrosion evident.. "Fleetguard DCA" is good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:25 am 

I passed this thread to my old Midget owning pal James the Uni research Chemist yesterday for him to have a browse through and he says, that in his opinion, making yourself an approximate genuine mix is quite simple using the bowls and scales in your average kitchen with stuff available from a half decent chemist. And cheaper too. But how much cheaper you could do it at home is probably marginal because the manufacturers are buying it and doing it in bulk! And you wouldn't be able to buy the small quantities of the 1% additives in such small quantities for home use.

But he did make a good observation re the stuff. He says that approximates of those ratios would be sufficient for the purposes and that as the recommended stuff is the stuff tried and tested and unchanged since it was first introduced, for all conditions and....... - so why change it.