mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am 
Site Admin

woodypup59 wrote:
mk1 wrote:
The biggest problem with most batteries nowadays is that the plates are so damn thin. They simply don't last like they used to even if they are looked after, and are made to be a disposable item.

True but they are also specified to be light - to save those emissions !

Good point, I hadn't thought about that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:56 pm 

mk1 wrote:
The biggest problem with most batteries nowadays is that the plates are so damn thin. They simply don't last like they used to even if they are looked after, and are made to be a disposable item.

I’ve been selling batteries since 1972 and modern batteries with thin plates definitely last a lot longer than old thick lead plate batteries. A good make(Varta,Bosch,Duracell or Yuasa) will probably last 6 to 8 years. In the 70’s we hardly had 2 years out of most batteries and would change under warranty about a third of the 3 year guarantee ones. We don’t get any genuine faulty decent make batteries, but quite a few cheaper make ones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Leadfoot1 wrote:
mk1 wrote:

I’ve been selling batteries since 1972 and modern batteries with thin plates definitely last a lot longer than old thick lead plate batteries. A good make(Varta,Bosch,Duracell or Yuasa) will probably last 6 to 8 years. In the 70’s we hardly had 2 years out of most batteries and would change under warranty about a third of the 3 year guarantee ones. We don’t get any genuine faulty decent make batteries, but quite a few cheaper make ones

Interesting observation.

I can only go from my experience, but yours as a seller is probably a better judgement than mine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:02 pm 

I am my own worse enemy with batteries

once I have unleashed my 'lazy bastard' boost starter on them, they don't last much longer......... :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 pm 

Most people are their own worst enemy with batteries. They run the battery flat somehow and then call out the AA etc.to get it started and then expect the alternator to charge it back up,but it will only go so far. Few people have th patience to charge a battery for several days slowly. Modern cars need running every day or the battery will slowly run down, everyone blames the battery. Most battery troubles are a problem with the car.
A simple way to test your battery, if it is giving trouble, is to disconnect the earth lead at night.If the car starts OK after this but not when left connected it has to be a car fault. If a battery goes flat not connected to anything,it has to be the battery.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm 

snoopy64 wrote:
Anyone bought a new decent battery recently with plenty of Ah?

Hi Kevin,

My battery died recently despite the use of a C-TEK charger and conditioner although I've only had that recently and not left it connected religiously which was probably a mistake :oops: The old battery was not a known brand and lasted maybe 4-5 years so not bad considering I suppose. I'd probably have got the same again but my local independent motor factors closed down in January as they couldn't compete with the internet (and probably fancied retirement too).

I replaced it with a Lucas "Premium" battery from Tayna which came very well packaged and certainly span the motor over pretty easily and coaxed the car back to life. It's 42Ah/350A and is labelled as a LP015 although the dimensions are as per the 038 and it fits just the same.

The LP015 is £10 cheaper (less than 50 notes delivered) and has more oomph (The Lucas Premium 038 is listed as 36Ah/320A).

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/lucas/lp015/

Cheers

Stewart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:23 pm 

Hi Stewart

Thanks for that...sounds a similar story to me...the c tek gets it back to life but then it doesn't last long... i’m going to get a new battery i think... in the meantime going to get the old one up to charge on the ctek then run it on a timer for 4 hours a week to keep it topped up...

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:27 pm 

snoopy64 wrote:
Hi Stewart

Thanks for that...sounds a similar story to me...the c tek gets it back to life but then it doesn't last long... i’m going to get a new battery i think... in the meantime going to get the old one up to charge on the ctek then run it on a timer for 4 hours a week to keep it topped up...

I tried the CTEK reconditioning setting on my battery but even that couldn't save it, it was "fully charged" and could barely hold enough charge to turn the engine once! Possibly I left it in a discharged state. Now I'm always going to connect the CTEK after every use of the car as I doubt the dynamo produces enough charge to keep it topped up given the limited amount of use it gets, especially in the winter.

Evidently even modern cars can suffer with this sort of battery degradation if used on short journeys. I guess for all the benefits of alternators the drain of the amount of electric kit on a new car can cancel it out! You see CTEKs or similar in car showrooms to keep the display vehicles' batteries in good condition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:58 am 

Back in the day when HM used to pay me to look after a couple of Her submarines pretty much the last job in every refit was to charge up and install the batteries. This was no two minute job.

Each cell was put through around 50 full charge /discharge cycles before they reached the correct level of charge to be installed.

Lead acid batteries like going through full cycles rather than short top ups. Heat (due to too high charge voltage) is one of the main killers.

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:57 am 

Funny this thread being here right now, This morning I went to move the Rolls-Royce out of the shop that's been here 6 months and moved out every day, it failed to start this morning, it has a battery tender plugged in every night and has never failed to start once, I thought maybe something had been left on but no every thing was off. When I tried to jump start it I got a big flash so put the battery tester on it and found a dead short in the battery! First time I've had that in 45 years, dead cells yes but never a dead short. Just goes to show they can die at any time looked after or not.