mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advise on car sale
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm 

Not strictly mini related but I have advertised a car on piston heads and have had a potential buyer contact via email, it is a hotmail uk account but I have traced the header and it is coming from Helsinki
I know he could be genuine or could be using a vpn but I cannot understand why he doesn’t just telephone to arrange a viewing of the car,
He has now requested my mobile number to text questions,
Am I being paranoid about this or is this a normal way to buy now, I always pick up the phone and speak to the seller
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Advise on car sale
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:03 pm 

It can be, especially if the buyer is overseas and english is not their first language. I know lots of folk who don't like using the 'phone and prefer messaging. I think it's a generational thing (or I have anti-social friends)?

Al

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm 

I think initial contact and questions via email or text is not a problem Daz, as previously said, its common nowadays.

If the initial interest is kept up then phone and then face to face contact will follow.

We are all a bit paranoid (and sometimes quite rightly so) but sometimes you get a feeling whether its pucker or a fraud and go by your gut instinct.

With the state of the pound at the moment, our cars are quite attractive to overseas buyers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 pm 

I have bought and sold a good few cars with no talking contact with the buyer or seller.

I think people are so used to doing everything on their phones now that it's the norm.

I think you just need to be aware of the conman schemes that buyers can try one sites like pistonheads

'long beard boss'