mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Al Brass - 66S - RIP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:44 pm 

Very sad news, can’t believe it! Spoke to Al a few times on the phone. Top bloke, another true enthusiast gone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am 

So sad to hear of Alisdairs passing. I meet him at various mini and Vintage car Club events and he was a great source of encouragement when I was restoring my s 12 years ago .A sad lose for us all.
My Condolences to the family

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am 

Very sad news, we lost a highly knowledgeable Mk1 expert!
RIP Mr. Al Brass.

Alfred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:52 am 

Really sad to hear about Al. I helped arrange his acquisition of the Broadspeed GT and we talked a bit about the early days on Mini's in NZ. Back in the 60's ones of his friends had a pre-production Mini here - it had come to NZ around May 1959 - possibly for winter testing. Al remembers seeing it when it first arrived - so he would have seen a Mini before any other of us here I would say!

He bought a new Riley Elf in 66 I think he said - so had had the Mini bug early on. I remember him all over - and under - a timewarp 1959 Mini that a friend had here - only 18,000 miles from new and mostly one owner. Al was fascinated about all the 59 features - all in their original condition. (it even had the original tyres!).

A lovely chap that will be sorely missed - esp by the Christchurch guys.

Graeme Farr
Wellington NZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:15 pm 

Maybe someone who knows his family or has other contact with them could print out and give them a copy of this thread. Makes it very personal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 pm 

That’s not a bad idea Peter.

I’ve got Al and Beryl’s email address. I’ll see if I can send a copy of this thread on. I’m sure Beryl knows how highly regarded Al and I’m sure she will appreciate our comments on here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 pm 

Hi everyone
I'm Kelly, Alasdair's eldest daughter. Andrew sent me a link to this forum so I thought I better join. We have had an influx of people sending their condolences and saying much the same things as you all have, how helpful dad had been, not just with Minis but Jeeps, and all kinds of vintage cars too. I have a little NZ 1275 GT that dad and I worked on to restore (probably more Dad than me if I'm honest) but as with all cars he touched, the workmanship, research and thought was second to none. He's left big holes all over the world with his passing. It's a bloody sad time for us all!
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 am 

I had the pleasure of meeting Al just over 12 months ago. My wife and I were in the South Island showing 2 friends from Scotland around our beautiful country.
I had emailed Al several times, seeking advice and also brought a couple of items off him for my Cooper S. I knew he reconded water pumps, so I sent my cast pump down to him in Christchurch for him to do. As I knew I would be in the South Island I arranged to pick the part up.
What a really nice guy, so friendly and so proud of his Almond Green Cooper S and his racing car. I remember it was a wet day, so after we had a coffee with Al and Beryl he took us in his ute to the building he owned that was full of all his other classic cars, including the Broadspeed.
What an enjoyable morning we spent with him.
I am so sad to hear of his passing and would like to send my sincere condolences to Beryl and his daughters.