mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Henlys of Bristol
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm 

After a long long wait I finally got the registration details back from the Bristol Archives for my Moke!
The car was registered 1st September 1966, as part of a bulk of registration numbers to Henlys.
Does anybody know if the Henlys records survived?
This wasn’t a new registration, the car was new in October1964, then registered two years later!
Trying to piece together a very incomplete history.

Post subject: Re: Henlys of Bristol
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 pm 

Have a similar question regarding another dealer. I have a car that was sold by Car Mart (Northern)...would that dealer have records of selling this car? Not sure they still exist...anyone know????

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:24 am 

Vintage to Classic wrote:
After a long long wait I finally got the registration details back from the Bristol Archives for my Moke!
The car was registered 1st September 1966, as part of a bulk of registration numbers to Henlys.
This wasn’t a new registration, the car was new in October1964, then registered two years later!

Do you mean it was nearly 2 years old when it had its first registration ???? , Don't forget it could have been in the factory months and months , then as a demonstrator on trade plates and if they could not sell it ??? , I had a 1275GT that was over 8 months before it was registered.
Sorry cannot help you with Henlys though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm 

I really don’t know.
According to the heritage certificate, It was supplied to Murray and Charlton in County Durham in October 1964.
Two years later it’s registered by Henlys and apparently in Bristol!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Simon776 has excellent knowledge of the dealer supply network, it may be worth PMing him.

M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:05 pm 

Henly's Bristol were an Austin distributor and Morris reciprocal retail dealer which meant they would send cars to smaller BMC outlets in the area. Yours sounds like it was registered by them(?) but a common asumption that people make is that the big distributor detailed on the Heritage Cert is the actual seller of their vehicle when often the car was actually sold by a smaller garage supplied by that distributor. A good example is my old 'MEG' (Sept '65 'S') which I think had Marshalls of Peterborough on the Heritage cert but an old worn sticker on the passenger door revealed that in fact Donald's (a local retail dealer) had sold the car. Similarly that car was registered two years after manufacture! I think it had been around as a demonstrator on trade plates but there's all kinds of reasons for late registration, race cars, etc etc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm 

360gts wrote:
Have a similar question regarding another dealer. I have a car that was sold by Car Mart (Northern)...would that dealer have records of selling this car? Not sure they still exist...anyone know????

Which branch of Car Mart?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:24 pm 

Pete wrote:
360gts wrote:

Which branch of Car Mart?

Hi Pete
All I have is Car Mart...Northern...not much help...I assume that could mean just about anything North of London....any thoughts!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:11 pm 

Can't help I'm afraid but HOY was another car that took a long time to register (built March 65, registered Nov 66).

Also trying to piece together its history, so far without much luck. :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 pm 

Quote:
All I have is Car Mart...Northern...not much help...I assume that could mean just about anything North of London....

Car Mart North was also known as Car Mart Welsh Harp. It was on the A5 in the NW9 area of London.