mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am 

mab01uk wrote:
2001 R50 MINI Cooper - Pre Production R50 MINI (Y Reg)
"This is an early May 2001 R50 MINI Cooper therefore a pre-production car as the official launch of the MINI wasn't until July 2001.
This is a short video showing you some of the differences of the pre-production cars and some things to look out for if you are thinking of buying an R50 MINI."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdxGdXDtYY

That is not a pre-production MINI. Production started on the 26th April. That car is what is known as a launch spec car built for dealers, hence why it has all the options such as leather, sunroof, traction control etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 am 

Quite a few of those Y reg cars live around these parts. My Unipart top-man neighbour had a silver pre production Y reg car on loan for a few weeks/month(?) to put a few miles on it. Yep, there's quite a few still on the roads round these parts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:46 am 

MINI Development Story updated on Austin Rover Online (AROnline)
Replacing the Mini was never going to be the work of a moment, and was generally regarded to be one of the toughest gigs in the industry.

"After years of deliberation, Rover started serious work in 1993, which was soon bolstered by the arrival of BMW the following year.
What we ended up with sparked controversy with enthusiasts, but the Rover engineered project ended up being a huge hit with buyers."

Link to the updated MINI Development story on AROnline. Interesting insider development tales at Gaydon:-
https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/bmw-min ... ent-story/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:01 pm 

"Fortune favours the brave and this brilliant little car could be the saving of Rover"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:45 pm 

I’m old school and on record in this thread about the new Mini (R50/53). It is in all probability a classic but please do not possibly link me to it. It has no DNA with the original Mini and none of our group sees it as a Mini. In fact we see the ADO16 the close relation. No doubt others see it differently. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:50 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
I’m old school and on record in this thread about the new Mini (R50/53). It is in all probability a classic but please do not possibly link me to it. It has no DNA with the original Mini and none of our group sees it as a Mini. In fact we see the ADO16 the close relation. No doubt others see it differently. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

No worries Alan, as you know i don't totally agree with you....even just having FWD and a transverse engine means it has original Mini DNA, like many other cars on the road today! :D My latest posts in this thread are because I found some long forgotten papers in my archive from the late 1990's which with hindsight now make interesting reading.....bearing in mind how few people today credit Rover and its talented Design Engineers with any of the original development of the R50 MINI, a car which went on to be such a great success and spawned the platform and DNA of all the top selling MINI variants that BMW build and sell worldwide today!

One Rover former engineers story:-
MINI: more cool Britannia than BMW will admit?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21342&start=10#p180373

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:10 pm 

Thanks Martin, I always enjoy your interesting posts and this one is no exception. I’m not in disagreement about how talented BMC / BLMC / Austin Rover Design Engineers were and indeed I’m a big fan of their cars. The Austin Allegro got bad press because the 1100 / 1300 before it was a superb car. The Austin Maxi, Triumph Acclaim, Austin Metro and Rover 200-series were all very well liked cars. And again look at how successful the Austin Metro 6R4 was in motorsport.

I would also have to agree with you that today when you look at all the front wheel drive cars on the road there is no doubt Alec Issigonis’ Mini and more so the 1100 / 1300 design set the benchmark and changed everything. I also get what you say about FWD and transverse engines means they have some original Alec Issigonis DNA which is a good point you make. I was more thinking of the transverse A-series engine unit that followed on in the Allegro and Metro.

Hope you had a nice Christmas Day and please do keep posting those interesting features. :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:26 am 

Classics World - R50 MINI BUYER’S GUIDE
BMW’s initial attempt at replacing the Issigonis original, the R50/R52/R53 (2001-2006) Mk1 MINIs, will never be cheaper than they are now. Here’s Classics World handy guide to understanding the models and getting hold of a good one.

"The big questions asked during the classic Mini’s 41-year production life often revolved around a successor for Alex Issigonis’ iconic original design. Issigonis himself had experimented with the 9X project at the tail end of the 1960s, and BL had a go with the ADO74 and ADO88 that led to the birth of the Metro. But from there, it went quiet. The Mini went through the doldrums in the 1980s, but thanks to the Japanese and the reborn Mini Cooper, it was cool again by the following decade. And after buying Rover in 1994, BMW seemed to have identified the Mini as a priceless brand – and were determined to rejuvenate it.
BMW head Bernd Pischetsrieder immediately encouraged his British design staff to start looking at new schemes, so Rover started serious work on a new Mini. At the same time, BMW also began to beaver away in Munich under American-born Frank Stephenson.
Both teams faced other for a presentation in 1995. Rover’s initial approach, badged ‘Spiritual’, was a revolutionary design with the engine was under the rear seats, driving the rear wheels. Rover saw it as the first of a new range, and so also showed a larger derivative of this car, called ‘Spiritual Too’. BMW, meanwhile, presented ideas that were closer to the design eventually chosen, but that didn’t stop Rover wasting much of the winter making more refinements. In 1996, BMW made the decision to bin everything Rover had done, favouring Frank Stephenson’s design yet handing over the task of engineering it to Rover. What was to be the E50 had now became the R50 – the R standing for Rover."
Full Article Here:-
https://classicsworld.co.uk/classic-car ... ers-guide/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7