mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:01 am 

Supersonic wrote:
Sorry, without wishing to offend anyone, please could someone provide the Alec Issigonis lineage between the BMC/BLMC/Austin Rover Mini and the BMW Mini? In my mind the ADO16, Austin Allegro and Mini Metro all have Issigonis DNA and share that family background. I rate all the above as pedigrees that share the Mini bloodline. I too avoid Mini events as they are now populated with BMW Minis that are not classic cars given their young age :?: :?: :?:

Alan

Surely all modern cars with transverse engines and fwd provide the Alec Issigonis lineage between the BMC/BLMC/Austin Rover Mini, although very few followed the gearbox in sump design. Even the modern Fiat 500 and VW Beetle use the Issigonis layout rather than their original rear engine, rwd family backgroud.

However not sure Issigonis would want his DNA to be associated with the Austin Allegro's pedigree :lol: .....he had enough trouble being associated with the Maxi but at least that could have been a best seller if only it had been more fully developed before it was put on sale!

I think the well established quality Mini shows like Beaulieu, etc are still doing fine because both Minis and MINI's turn up in big numbers to a good venue that is well organised and well laid out with other attractions for those with their families, etc. There are however far too many Mini shows now for the number of classic Mini owners willing to travel long distances often on motorways in their valuable cars, many shows are now poorly run not by enthusiasts or clubs but by commercial event companies eg. Mini in the Park. I like many older classic Mini enthusiasts only attend a very few shows/ events each year which are within a reasonable driving distance and which have proved over many years to be worth the effort and costs involved.
MINI's have now become cheap plentiful cars for youngsters to own, with a strong enthusiast and tuning/modification following, they are therefore far more likely to turn up at shows and travel long distances on motorways to attend, as did I back in the late 70's/early 80's when Mini shows were very few and far between.

Was the Mini a classic car in 1979 at the Donnington 20th Birthday Party? The R50 MINI is now 17 years old.....
I remember attending classic car shows in the late 1970's early 1980's with my Mk1 Mini and was regularly told by MG/ Jaguar/Austin Healey, etc owners that the common Mini would never be a classic car and should not be parked up with them! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:44 am 

Thanks martin, you made some very good points in your last post and I appreciate your thinking :) :) :)

I will never let my middle daugther read this post (ex BMW Mini owner) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:11 am 

I suppose it's how we define what a classic car is and I think that defintion is bound to change over time depending on your own interests.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 pm 

I still recall the words of my boss back in 1965 when I bought my first mini :!:
nice car! but it will never be a Classic, Young Man :shock:
As I handed him back the keys and the deposit for a MG Magnette that he had
sold me.

The Count :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

What is a classic?

Like truth & beauty this will always be in the eye of the beholder.

One person can see a Botticellian vision of Venus herself, the next bloke down the line will just see a fat lass.

Who am I to say who is right & who is wrong ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 pm 

mamma mia!

I wonder why she is bothering with the spoon...

just ram the whole thing in lass...…….

:lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:57 pm 

Shrieks of laughter in our house at that comment Rich - and the fat bird of course. I'm sure that we've got a couple of her sisters living in Abingdon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:34 pm 

ImageBNYDH6 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm 

mk1 wrote:
What is a classic?

Like truth & beauty this will always be in the eye of the beholder.

One person can see a Botticellian vision of Venus herself, the next bloke down the line will just see a fat lass.

Who am I to say who is right & who is wrong ;)

Sauce à base de croustilles et de viande

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6