mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm 

I worked in public service from 1970 to 2011 as a civil engineer in Water & Sewerage and in the days before computers, mobile telephones and telemetry, water and sewerage works were manned by operatives who kept in contact by landline telephone or radio telephones. What a different world. In 1970 you designed a sewage treatment works and worked out the capacity. In 2011 you designed a waste water treatment works and worked out the headroom. Why was the word capacity changed to headroom? To accommodate current bullshit is my thinking :(

In fact some of the younger people who loved management jargon didn't even know the difference between the words sewage and sewerage :(

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm 

Best one for me was a fifty something at work saying "my bad" when he got something wrong. I just looked at him, confused, not having a clue what he meant. Some bollocks he got from an American TV show apparently. Needless to say my response was far closer to home and was understood by all, young and old :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
its only 600 years old....

Dad was very old.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:42 pm 

In Summary, i translate your experiences to read..
Buzz,Reach Out & Touch Base with Snowflake You Know the Millennial My Bad Artisan,who In Essence Well More of Less has Tool Kits & Workshop payments experiences & transisioned a marketplace of customers intermediating experiences & group spend.
Crispy Move Forward to Standardise Infrastructure to Leverage a Scalable & Agile Services while Intermediating within Societal Norms,

p.s.. i hope the weather warms up so i can then escape into the garage. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm 

Polarsilver wrote:
In Summary, i translate your experiences to read..
Buzz,Reach Out & Touch Base with Snowflake You Know the Millennial My Bad Artisan,who In Essence Well More of Less has Tool Kits & Workshop payments experiences & transisioned a marketplace of customers intermediating experiences & group spend.
Crispy Move Forward to Standardise Infrastructure to Leverage a Scalable & Agile Services while Intermediating within Societal Norms,

p.s.. i hope the weather warms up so i can then escape into the garage. :twisted:

Absolutely! (oh damn it, sorry) Well said.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 pm 

All this banter about language changing reminded me of this classic novelty track from 1981, the final passage summing it up to a T...

https://youtu.be/VbnBJ3easCk?t=2m55s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm 

The other p*ssboiler is where they create new words by combining two existing ones together. E.g. Synergy (synchronised energy),what a clusterf*ck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 pm 

111Robin wrote:
... "my bad" when he got something wrong. I just looked at him, confused, not having a clue what he meant.

I had the exact same experience. Some guy at work used the expression (probably a decade ago) and I had NO idea what he meant. I had the same feeling the first time a guy told me that everything was "good to go". Go where? Why did it have to be good?

I still don't know the true origins of "my bad" but I was told it was something an athlete said in a TV interview.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 pm 

How about the guy who wants "to grow" his business"?

Maybe a little water and fertilizer....?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 pm 

dklawson wrote:
111Robin wrote:
... "my bad" when he got something wrong. I just looked at him, confused, not having a clue what he meant.

I had the exact same experience. Some guy at work used the expression (probably a decade ago) and I had NO idea what he meant. I had the same feeling the first time a guy told me that everything was "good to go". Go where? Why did it have to be good?

I still don't know the true origins of "my bad" but I was told it was something an athlete said in a TV interview.

Right up there with "from the get go", aaaaaahhhhh!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next