mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:25 pm
Posts: 1282
I worked in public service from 1970 to 2011 as a civil engineer in Water & Sewerage and in the days before computers, mobile telephones and telemetry, water and sewerage works were manned by operatives who kept in contact by landline telephone or radio telephones. What a different world. In 1970 you designed a sewage treatment works and worked out the capacity. In 2011 you designed a waste water treatment works and worked out the headroom. Why was the word capacity changed to headroom? To accommodate current bullshit is my thinking :(

In fact some of the younger people who loved management jargon didn't even know the difference between the words sewage and sewerage :(

Alan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Aberdeen Scotland
Best one for me was a fifty something at work saying "my bad" when he got something wrong. I just looked at him, confused, not having a clue what he meant. Some bollocks he got from an American TV show apparently. Needless to say my response was far closer to home and was understood by all, young and old :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 am
Posts: 812
Location: Durham, NC USA
rich@minispares.com wrote:
its only 600 years old....


Dad was very old.

_________________
Doug L.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 pm
Posts: 455
In Summary, i translate your experiences to read..
Buzz,Reach Out & Touch Base with Snowflake You Know the Millennial My Bad Artisan,who In Essence Well More of Less has Tool Kits & Workshop payments experiences & transisioned a marketplace of customers intermediating experiences & group spend.
Crispy Move Forward to Standardise Infrastructure to Leverage a Scalable & Agile Services while Intermediating within Societal Norms,

p.s.. i hope the weather warms up so i can then escape into the garage. :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:17 pm
Posts: 132
Polarsilver wrote:
In Summary, i translate your experiences to read..
Buzz,Reach Out & Touch Base with Snowflake You Know the Millennial My Bad Artisan,who In Essence Well More of Less has Tool Kits & Workshop payments experiences & transisioned a marketplace of customers intermediating experiences & group spend.
Crispy Move Forward to Standardise Infrastructure to Leverage a Scalable & Agile Services while Intermediating within Societal Norms,

p.s.. i hope the weather warms up so i can then escape into the garage. :twisted:

Absolutely! (oh damn it, sorry) Well said.

Graham


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: North East
All this banter about language changing reminded me of this classic novelty track from 1981, the final passage summing it up to a T...

https://youtu.be/VbnBJ3easCk?t=2m55s


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:46 pm
Posts: 363
The other p*ssboiler is where they create new words by combining two existing ones together. E.g. Synergy (synchronised energy),what a clusterf*ck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 am
Posts: 812
Location: Durham, NC USA
111Robin wrote:
... "my bad" when he got something wrong. I just looked at him, confused, not having a clue what he meant.


I had the exact same experience. Some guy at work used the expression (probably a decade ago) and I had NO idea what he meant. I had the same feeling the first time a guy told me that everything was "good to go". Go where? Why did it have to be good?

I still don't know the true origins of "my bad" but I was told it was something an athlete said in a TV interview.

_________________
Doug L.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 am
Posts: 403
How about the guy who wants "to grow" his business"?

Maybe a little water and fertilizer....?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Aberdeen Scotland
dklawson wrote:
111Robin wrote:
... "my bad" when he got something wrong. I just looked at him, confused, not having a clue what he meant.


I had the exact same experience. Some guy at work used the expression (probably a decade ago) and I had NO idea what he meant. I had the same feeling the first time a guy told me that everything was "good to go". Go where? Why did it have to be good?

I still don't know the true origins of "my bad" but I was told it was something an athlete said in a TV interview.

Right up there with "from the get go", aaaaaahhhhh!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nimbusprint and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Localized by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr