mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:15 pm 

more of less

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 pm 

I've noticed someone from our office using Toolkit recently along with Workshop.
As Alexei Sayle used to say anyone using those words outside of light engineering is a Tw*t and needs head butting in the throat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm 

I think that much of what is being talked about here concerns ‘buzz words’ which in itself is something that has recently been invented. When I was a lad ‘buzz’ was something we associated with bees, nowadays more often than not we associate it with silly bees!

The buzz word that used to drive me mad was ‘sustainable’. Every other thing being discussed had to be ‘sustainable.’ Public sector employees seemed to be the worst offenders. Grrrrrrr!

Whilst having a groan what about ‘At this moment in time.’? Not a buzz word I’ll agree but what the hell happened to ‘Now’?!!

Finally before I go for a lie down, how about ‘You know’? If I did f…ing know I wouldn’t be hanging on your every word! Worst culprit on this was David Beckham. When he was interviewed I used to count how many times he said ‘You know’. Sometimes I had to give up as I ran out of fingers! Thankfully common sense has prevailed and he has not become a football commentator!

Graham

Last edited by GrahamWRobinson on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 pm 

GrahamWRobinson wrote:

I think that much of what is being talked about here concerns ‘buzz words’ which in itself is something that has recently been invented. When I was a lad ‘buzz’ was something we associated with bees, nowadays more often than not we associate it with silly bees!

The buzz word that used to drive me mad was ‘sustainable’. Every other thing being discussed had to be ‘sustainable.’ Public sector employees seemed to be the worst offenders. Grrrrrrr!

Whilst having a groan what about ‘At this moment in time.’? Not a buzz word I’ll agree but what the hell happened to ‘Now’?!!

Finally before I go for a lie down, how about ‘You know’. If I did f…ing know I wouldn’t be hanging on your every word! Worst culprit on this was David Beckham. When he was interviewed I used to count how many times he said ‘You know’. Sometimes I had to give up as I ran out of fingers! Thankfully common sense has prevailed and he has not become a football commentator!

Graham

:lol: I know how you feel. A work colleague used to say "in essence" every second sentence during presentations to such an extent that I once just got up and walked out. Probably just me but trust me it was annoying, in essence.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm 

Corporate Bollox drives me up the wall but luckily we don't really have to suffer any of it on the railway where safety critical communication demands clear and concise language, apart from the odd email or company announcement (the mob I work for have recently been taken over by a very large 'murcan railroad company). Snowflake / millennial / hipster speak is far worse though, anyone using it just sounds as though they're trying to hard to be achingly hip or gagging for attention. Adding the word 'artisan' to something you make or sell doesn't mean it should cost five times more than it normally would either, and starting every sentence with 'so' means you should be taken outside and shot. Twice, just in case :roll:

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 pm 

I absolutely despise the phrase Touching Base. I absolutely would not want to touch anyone's base to be honest.

And didn't Buzz go to the Moon

(I also hate the over use of the word absolutely)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 pm 

I think whether Buzz went to the moon or not is up for debate - maybe a camera should have been fitted to the Tesla to film the evidence on its way to Mars :o :lol:

But no, modern corporate speak is complete and utter bollocks. They know its crap, you know its crap and they know that you know its crap but it still carries on. Thank God I no longer work in an industry that insists on using these 'buzz' words and phrases.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:32 pm 

At one time I had a three columned chart and in each column there were about 10 buzz words. So you could pick a word from each column, join them together and throw that three word gobbledegook horse shite into a sentence to make it a) sound good and b) make yourself sound clever. The problem was that the engineering types and those others at the sharp end just looked at these accountants and 'budget holder' wafflers, rolled their eyes skywards and once the meeting finished, just got on with the job the way they'd always done it. Properly!

Occasionally one of the braver souls, usually a Geordie, would keep interrupting and asking for a more detailed explanation. This was usually by saying words to the effect '......stop talking shite'

I think the chart was an official HMSO document for up and coming thrusters with an eye to promotion on to the next level of MoD contract incompetence.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:51 pm 

111Robin wrote:
The current "fad" for starting every response with "so" really gets up my nose.

This is one of My pet hates as well , every time someone begins an answer to a normal question with 'So' I feel the need to punch them , the other one that I have anger issues with is " I will reach out to" John etc !!!!! wtf was wrong with" I will ask John" :evil: :roll: :D
G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:02 pm 

surfblue63 wrote:
I absolutely despise the phrase Touching Base. I absolutely would not want to touch anyone's base to be honest.

And didn't Buzz go to the Moon

(I also hate the over use of the word absolutely)

Spot on Stuart, I couldn't agree more!

Perhaps it's time for someone to consider publishing a Bollox Dickionary to include all the wonderful examples that have been commented on in this thread? Thread? Sorry guys (if you are currently trying to hold a tent up) isn't a thread something you use with a needle? OMG (whoops, there's another one) where will it end?!

And whilst we are having our say what's with all this hand slapping over a winning shot when playing tennis, volleyball and the like? Where did all that come from? I guess they are 'bonding' with each other or maybe an alternative masonic hand gesture?

All this and I haven't even mentioned trump ................. I seem to recall that it was something to do with breaking wind..............

Graham

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next