mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Portugal IMM 2018
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:34 pm 

I can't really comment too much about IMMs as I've only been to two (Scotland in 2003 and Ireland last year) however I've never really enjoyed the total event that they are. As said, they're not really a show but a social gathering. I'm not keen on the "walking around a camp site to look a cars" layout (although at both IMMs I was at there was a show and shine event on the Sunday). I'm also not into the parties and thumping music late into the night (which is why on both occasions I was glad to have booked a hotel a distance away from the site). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the trip both times (despite the horrendous weather in Scotland) and got to see some amazing examples of Minis on display. I always enjoy seeing how others interpret their style on their cars as well as seeing the as factory restorations, and of course the trade stalls to see if any bargains or rarities can be found.
As a general comment, I don't enjoy the IMM idea as such and I wouldn't be interested in travelling to go to one (Westport is only a 3 hour drive for me, and Scotland is a short boat hop with a similar distance).
Oh and tickets in I thought were a tad on the high side.
Anyway, that's just my opinion on the matter.

'64 Morris Cooper S Traveller
'65 Morris Mini Pickup
'83 Austin City E
'84 Sinclair C5
'87 Austin "Seven S" 1000
'04 MG ZR
'07 Vauxhall Astra GTE

http://minitravellerman.wix.com/ballylough-classics

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:43 pm 

minimk1man wrote:
I really hope the IMM 60 organisers take particular note of this problem. It is probably more important than ever with it being the 60th anniversary.
Birmingham Mini Owners Club got it right with the IMM / Mini 50. A good combination of an IMM with day visitor access for "locals".
To charge 75 euros for day trippers is extortionate. No wonder the local Portuguese enthusiasts were pissed off.

Exactly my thoughts and concerns about next year. I know some of my club members will be doing the full IMM thing, but it just doesnt appeal to me, a three or four trip with a day on site for the Mini 60th celebrations is what i'm looking for, I just worry it'll be like Kent apparently was with no access to anything but a small area.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 pm 

2019 - According to all the info I've seen so far there will be day tickets for the Sunday but only available on the gate, no advance purchase, at least that's the state of play at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 pm 

We just got back from Portugal where I was one of only 3 UK traders who bothered to make the trip. It seems that the big boys only want to go to reasonably close ones where they can make big profits. In Lithuania it was the same, just me and Guessworks. The event was very well organised in the end and the security was top notch, non-paticipants being excluded from the camping area where many of us had our treasured possessions. At night the trade area was similarly patrolled so the stock was safe. I camped and like some others I don't like the loud dance music, but I listen to my own choice of stuff through headphones which drowns out the other. The Portuguese traders' stuff was way too expensive for me to buy anything sadly, but it meant that I did OK.
All in all it was actually very good. The location, which was a move from the original choice, meant we had beaches and loads of excellent cheap restaurants. The roads are very good, smooth and fast. My Mrs stayed in a B&B which was very reasonable. I just went there for the showers.
We are definitely going back to Praia da Mira but next time it will be by Ryanair and hire car.