mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The BL Mini 1275 GT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm 

I’ve always had a wee soft spot for the clubman cars for some reason. I think they tend to be like coach built Minis you either love them or hate them. In comparison with the Mk3 Mini the 1275 GT was very luxurious without question. Perhaps it is my age as the clubman was the new kid on the block when I first started driving on the road.

The Australian Clubman GT was some car. It was basely Mk1 from the A-pillars back with its exposed door hinges, flush door handles, winding windows and quarter lights. The Australians got it right as their GT kept the Cooper S engine and was a real pedigree like our Mk3 Cooper S.

There is a beautiful blue and gold Australian Clubman GT over here somewhere that I've seen at the Kilbroney Show about five years ago :D

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm 

As Mabs said the GT was a Cooper 998 replacement and to be fair it did a good job, especially with the 3.6 diff, it handle and stopped better than the Cooper and some would say was more comfortable the later hydro worked a lot better than the original, by the time it had 12" wheels and the horrible interior trim styles it became lost to me. Why was it the engine reached about 57K miles and gave up the ghost?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

The Cooper S was never popular within the higher levels of BMC, from 1968 when Stokes became chairman there was a definite campaign to walk away from any sort of Motorsport. When the GT was introduced they really wanted to get away from the "boy racer" / competition image that the Cooper S had created so successfully. It was always seen as a liability creating high insurance premiums & causing lots of bad publicity.

When the GT was released there was very little reference to the Minis sporting heritage with the publicity dept concentrating on the "luxury" aspects of the new model.

Most of this attitude came directly from Lord Stokes who was primarily interested in selling boring average cars to boring average people, as he saw this as the majority of the market. He certainly succeeded in making boring cars, shame he wasn't so successful at selling the buggers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:06 pm 

mk1 wrote:
The Cooper S was never popular within the higher levels of BMC, from 1968 when Stokes became chairman there was a definite campaign to walk away from any sort of Motorsport. When the GT was introduced they really wanted to get away from the "boy racer" / competition image that the Cooper S had created so successfully. It was always seen as a liability creating high insurance premiums & causing lots of bad publicity.

When the GT was released there was very little reference to the Minis sporting heritage with the publicity dept concentrating on the "luxury" aspects of the new model.

Most of this attitude came directly from Lord Stokes who was primarily interested in selling boring average cars to boring average people, as he saw this as the majority of the market. He certainly succeeded in making boring cars, shame he wasn't so successful at selling the buggers!

Are you saying the allegro was boring Mark :lol: :lol: :lol: , They even had the Plusparts and pluspacks for it :o :o , No wonder BL lost there way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even a window sticker ALLEGRO , how many of you bought those :oops: :oops: :oops:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm 

mk1 wrote:
It was always seen as a liability creating high insurance premiums & causing lots of bad publicity.

No such thing as bad publicity.

I bet William Lyons smiled to himself when 'Robbery' was shown in 1967.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 am 

If you wanted S performance you could always fit the "S" kit from Special Tuning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 am 

I think the 1275GT was a very smart move by BL. The engine was a blank canvas that gave all tuning responsibility to the owner/tuner and not the factory, it was therefore cheaper to produce of course than it it would have been with a better engine. It was tuned , rallied and raced from day one and brought home two touring car championships long after the Mini was seen to have been past it's sell by date, THE Mini of choice for rally drivers in the 70s and 80s.. It definately did replace the Cooper S in that respect. By the same token you could buy one for the Mrs and it was perfectly sedate. I had this discussion on Facebook recently and the overwhelming opinion was that it was a shit car. Longman suddenly pitched up and shut everybody up. :lol: . Odd then isn't it that I reckon most of us on here started our driving addiction in the era of the 1275GT but we're all early car nuts! Discuss..... :lol:

I'd still like to get an early one and nearly did a couple of years ago but that's another story!! :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:46 am 

The DOWN side so far as anyone who really wanted a Cooper or a Cooper S was that the 1275GT wasn't a Cooper or a Cooper S and never would be! A buyer could make it go as fast, versatile and everything else he wanted it to be but it still wasn't a Mini Cooper.

Like making your MGB GT into a V8. It MIGHT now be a V8 engined MGB but it ain't an MGB GT V8, the real McCoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:18 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:

Like making your MGB GT into a V8. It MIGHT now be a V8 engined MGB but it ain't an MGB GT V8, the real McCoy

And if Ken Costello did it?? people can get very hooked up on badges.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:41 pm 

My dad often comments that when the GT first appeared in the dealership he worked for it went down badly with the staff. He and his colleagues pretty much all drove (and modified) Minis and for them the Clubman wasn't a "true" Mini in their eyes. And the GT as the replacement quick model .. well that was just wrong on all accounts. He said the same was said about the Mk3 S when it came out .. a Cooper than only looked like a standard Mini 850 with an extra fuel tank and a set of wide wheel!!

He said that looking back that, for them that were being loyal to the Mini and for what the Mini meant to them, the BL versions of the cars were just watered down versions and weren't what they should or could have been.

Now - although dad prefers the Mk1 Cooper S (specifically the very last '67 cars), he'd certainly have a Mk3 S or 1275 GT. Although the S would have to have the roof painted in contrasting colour and Mk2 Cooper grille and bonnet badging to give the "correct" appearance of a Cooper S :D

'64 Morris Cooper S Traveller
'65 Morris Mini Pickup
'83 Austin City E
'84 Sinclair C5
'87 Austin "Seven S" 1000
'04 MG ZR
'07 Vauxhall Astra GTE

http://minitravellerman.wix.com/ballylough-classics