mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:56 pm 

Peter

One of my customers has a scimiter with a 4.6 ex range rover v8 stuffed into it.

It's a beautifully built car and looks standard apart from some modern bmw alloys

It's a proper 'what if' car that surprises everybody

Sounds well fit as well!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 pm 

Had an Rv8 with the 3.9 range rover in , was a right handfull in the wet!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 pm 

In the mid 90's I was based at HMS Inskip. It was in the middle of nowhere. Access was via some nice twisty A and B roads.
At the time I had a 1380 mk2 cooper, it went well and was more than a match for the Nova GTE, Capri 2.8 injection, PUG 205 GTI that my mates had. Until we hit the motorway then I was toast, it ran out of breath at about a ton!

One night, I nipped out for some fags, I needed to go to the 24 hour petrol station that was quite a way from the base. There was a big roundabout under the motorway, it was quiet nothing on the roads as it was the middle of the night, I was busy giving the cooper the lead foot, Making it slide as I came on and off the power.... I suddenly realized that there was a police patrol car parked up :oops

I slowed up, they followed me for a short distance then flashed for me to stop. Luckily the policeman was a mini fan, he was more interested in the car and what the engine was, than nicking me for speeding. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am 

I play with both. As well as my mini I co-own a Mk2 Golf 16v we've made for track days. It's modified using a BMW Mini Supercharger and EFI. 215 BHP and 925kg makes it good fun but not silly.
Mini's I prefer for their period race, rally and boy racer mods. The Golf is an excellent car but seems to be from an era where home modifications and club motorsport were becoming that little bit harder to get into.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:59 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
You're dead right MAB. Not only that, the compression ratio was so low that it would run on two-star fuel if you remember that! As for torque............ as a party piece I used it to illustrate to a (mathematical engineering) class. Carefully pull away from start in 4th overdrive and take it to 100.

Take your point too Foxy. But this is bog standard, off the shelf. Just think how it'd fly if someone was prepared to spend proportionally what the hot hatch lads had spent
...talking off the shelf cars.. even by the late 80,s turn of the 90,s VW had produced the Rallye Golf and then the uber rare only 100 built for retail Golf GTI 210 limited,.a G60 Lader model.. hand built by VW motorsport dept..16v supercharged...full leather,sunroof,BBS split rims,4Wheel drive...60 in about 6.. top speed 148 ish !!!.. all left hookers tho.. all but 2 were 5 door.. i think about 80 have survived.. a couple in England now....recognised by the above and blue piping around grille instead of red without a GTI badge but a blue VW motorsport badge on the rear.... a magnificent bog standard off the shelf jobbie.. if u had about 19k !!!. foxy52

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:42 pm 

That brings back memories. My Dad founded AmD in the mid eighties and did a lot of VAG stuff. A customer had a 3 door G60 (not the Rallye) in a dark metallic red that was lightly modified and quite nippy. He lent it me to drive up to Cheshire for a court case (It wasn't me) and I had an interesting dice with an E36 325i coming back. It just had the legs on this though.

All things being equal though, the 16v Astra was the thing to beat. Christ they were quick. Most of them did 160+ bhp on a dyno, bog standard. Amazing engine and far better than the VW unit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:26 pm 

Well you could always do it on the cheap = capacity. Has an old grey mini van around 1982 and got a bit fed up with stirring the 850 along. so get an Allegro 1275 from back of garage an get it bored to 1385 and slot it in with an S head. Handy the universal gearbox casing. No other mods, just the engine, std wheels and brakes. The intention was just to drive around without having to change gear all te time. It would pull a wall down from 20mph in top and never burnt any more fuel.

So one Friday night in late 82 I am taking Moaning Minnie out for a curry and am coming out of town on the motorway and pass a brand new XR3i going about 40mph. The only reason I pay any attention to it was because it was the week the car came out and had noticed it in Motoring News. A few miles further on I a driving through a 30 limit , passing someone turning right at a set of lights and the XR3i comes up behind me flashing its lights , obviously because I am now holding him up. For some reason he has decided to now go a bit quicker. Just after the lights it turns into unrestricted dual carriageway. So plant the foot, still in top gear with the screaming engine XR3i beside me. He gave up at 85 mph never having got his nose in front. Must have really impressed his mate he had with him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7