mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 pm 

Back in 1989 I was 21 and had a mk3 S that I really wanted to get on the road but couldn't afford the insurance. But I was happy to drive round in my summer daily driver which was a 120bhp 1450cc Mayfair insured as a standard car :lol: .
Just about to look for a first car for my oldest daughter, she wants a base model 205 done up like a 1.9gti. I've told her there will be non of that nonsence and she'll have a nice safe VW and it will be kept bog standard!
Back in the day Spoon and I did a Fast car magazine rolling road shootout. As 21 year old's we drove our cars from Derbyshire all the way to central London for this day. The most powerful car there was Samantha Vizard's car which the engine was featured on the back of the yellow Vizard book.
It made 99bhp at the wheels at over 7000rpm. My car came a close second with 98bhp at 6000rpm. Spoons car came 3rd and made 94bhp at 7500rpm but hadn't peaked so may have made more, but as a long stroke engine the rolling road man was fearing for his life revving it any higher.
Brilliant days.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:25 pm 

innocenti-si wrote:
Simpler times indeed

How meany bits did you loose down the drain while changing the engine on the red car? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

kit of bits wrote:
innocenti-si wrote:
Simpler times indeed

How meany bits did you loose down the drain while changing the engine on the red car? :lol:

I think we may have had to fish out 1 or 2 sockets :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:48 pm 

Can we see a bit more of the girl with the red GT on page 1!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:52 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:

It's not a girl....

It's spoonydave when he had a mullet!

'Business at the front. Party at the back!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:10 pm 

All I remember about the 80s was that I wanted a fast Mini, built a 1380 from a '77 GT and trashed it eventually. It was pretty rusty but I was never tempted by Astras, Fiestas or anything else that in reality were much quicker. My mates Fiesta Supersport sounded great but in my eyes just had 'hooligan' written all over it. In fact one morning at work, it literally did :lol: . Another mate had a Pug 1.9 GTI, which I did like though didn't feel much better than a Mini, lots of painted metal inside. Minis seem to have outlasted everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:13 pm 

:lol:
rich@minispares.com wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:

It's not a girl....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm 

Mini's from back in the 90's still sat in the garage, 5GT Turbo currently under restoration, I've had the 5 21 years now, what's that about not growing up :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:09 pm 

Pete wrote:
All I remember about the 80s was that I wanted a fast Mini, built a 1380 from a '77 GT and trashed it eventually. It was pretty rusty but I was never tempted by Astras, Fiestas or anything else that in reality were much quicker. My mates Fiesta Supersport sounded great but in my eyes just had 'hooligan' written all over it. In fact one morning at work, it literally did :lol: . Another mate had a Pug 1.9 GTI, which I did like though didn't feel much better than a Mini, lots of painted metal inside. Minis seem to have outlasted everything.
...My late Mk 1 Golf GTI was a hooligan...except it didn't show it...slightly lwr suspension with great handling ..it used to wipe the floor with my mates new 1500 Spitfire.. the only car that ever showed it a clean pair of heels was a modified Dolomite Sprint..i could not believe it could pull away from my Golf on a long inclined dual carriageway....minis seem as you say to have outlasted any quick cars built 60,s -80,s... foxy52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:13 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:

It's not a girl....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was my girlfriend at the time, Sue. She also had a 1275 GT in black ( EEC 796T ). Nowadays her husband Rob still has a 1380 Weberised 1980's Mini :D
That particular photo was taken at the MCR day at Beaulieu in 1988. The Vermillion boy racer machine was mine, the Pagent blue one Martins. Soon after that we ' upgraded ' to newer Mayfairs and 13" wheels... :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next