mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm 

smithyrc30 wrote:

The only mid engine 4WD rally car I am aware of that BL made was the 6R4 Metro and that was early 80's. That was based on the V8 block (a V8 cut in half and the second pair of cylinders cut out and then welded back together) for the first ten or so engines, then their own unique block.

If I recall correctly, the V6 in the 6R4 was the same engine in the Jaguar XJ220, but without the twin turbos. It was loosely based on the Rover/Buick V8, but was realistically a new design. You are correct, that the early prototypes used 3/4 of a Rover engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm 

mk1 wrote:
I did once see a mid engined gearbox for an A series that would have mounted the engine longitudinally & would have given 4WD through a pair of drive shafts connected to a pair of axles.
Back in the 80s, I remember that exact layout was used for "trackless trains". Don't known the manufacturer (Dotto?), but it was one of those fiberglass trains on road wheels that tow carriages full of kids up and down sea fronts and around amusement parks. It had a Mini engine and box with one driveshaft to a diff on a pivoting axle for the front wheels and same without pivot for the rear wheels. About 6ft long in total, probably never even got out of first gear... or maybe an automatic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am 

iain1967s wrote:
mk1 wrote:
I did once see a mid engined gearbox for an A series that would have mounted the engine longitudinally & would have given 4WD through a pair of drive shafts connected to a pair of axles.
Back in the 80s, I remember that exact layout was used for "trackless trains". Don't known the manufacturer (Dotto?), but it was one of those fiberglass trains on road wheels that tow carriages full of kids up and down sea fronts and around amusement parks. It had a Mini engine and box with one driveshaft to a diff on a pivoting axle for the front wheels and same without pivot for the rear wheels. About 6ft long in total, probably never even got out of first gear... or maybe an automatic.

they used a mini engine in the middle and a pair of triumph herald diffs

they used them at lightwater valley and when they sold them a customer of mine bought a couple and had them dumped on his drive in harrogate

they where pretty simple and basic and i doubt they would have stood up to any hard use or high speed, but for trundleing round at 20mph where perfect

the 4x4 off road vehicles used a similar situation, but much better designed

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 am 

this is one of the off road jobbies that turned at work a few years ago

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm 

I have seen pictures of similar done in a swb land rover - centrally mounted mini engine with a welded diff driving the prop shafts. I seem to remember it was used on a shooting estate as it was much lighter over the moors. Can't find any pics though and it was certainly agriculturally engineered

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 pm 

I finally tracked down the friend who told me about a mid engine mini...his memory isn't quite as good as it was.
However, he thinks the cars he saw were The Metro 6R4 ....that makes more sense....anyone seen these....are they still around?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 am 

360gts wrote:
I finally tracked down the friend who told me about a mid engine mini...his memory isn't quite as good as it was.
However, he thinks the cars he saw were The Metro 6R4 ....that makes more sense....anyone seen these....are they still around?

If you can find one and the owner wants to get rid of it let me know ;)

Do you guys remember back when they killed off Group B? There were MG 6R4's, and Ford RS200's that suddenly had no purpose. They couldn't get rid of them. Several ended up in rallycross.

Wish I'd bought a few . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 am 

Before the end of group B a clubman 6R4 (with the 250PS engine) was UKP51,000 and the 'works' add on (to 410PS) was another UKP18,000. After group B was stopped, they were selling them for UKP20,000. I heard the last ones were being pushed out at UKP16,500 just to get them off the books.

I think the Fords were still about UKP25,000 after starting at similar money to the 6R4s with the last few being stripped for spares. The Reliant factory in Shenstone had bodies and front and rear assemblies right up until they moved to Tamworth when I believe they were cut up for scrap.

Not sure what hpappened to the Lancia and Peugeot units.

Many of the Fords and Metros were used in rally cross with Martin Schanke having some ferociously quick ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am 

I would have absolutely no use for that 4x4 thing but id like one !!