mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm 

Just made me smile really!! Glad to have the real thing.

http://www.aol.co.uk/cars/2018/01/10/mi ... -for-2018/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 pm 

well they failed big time!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 am 

Whether you love the new MINI or not in all its various shapes and sizes, you have to respect BMW for one thing. They have made a financial success of it which BMC/BL/Rover failed to do in 40 years of production of the original Mini.

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 am 

Of course you are correct Graham, but please read the title, messing about with a grill does not make the car look or become authentically British!

I like the early Bini and was fortunate to drive both the normally aspirated and supercharged versions before they were released for sale.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am 

davidnutland wrote:
Of course you are correct Graham, but please read the title, messing about with a grill does not make the car look or become authentically British!

I like the early Bini and was fortunate to drive both the normally aspirated and supercharged versions before they were released for sale.

I thought it was due to the new LED Union Jack tail lights?

It does seem that the current trend for car manufacturers/designers to make their cars stand out from the crowd is by coming up with wild and wacky LED lights for front and back....the zig-zag tailights and brake lights on the back of some Toyota Prius for example! Of course if just one LED lamp fails you have to throw the complete light unit away and replace it at great expense.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm 

davidnutland wrote:

David I was fully aware of the thread title when I made the post. The general tone of the question and the responses so far is one of dislike for the new 'Union Jack' tail light version of the latest MINI. You might not like it as per your comment:
davidnutland wrote:
well they failed big time!

but however you look at it BMW has not failed big time. On the contrary they have made a financial success out of the MINI which is more than can be said of the original Mini. BMW clearly know what they are doing and how to sell cars. It's a bit like picking up a mug that has a Union Jack on it. How often have you done that and then spotted on the base 'Made in China'! People are out to make money. It's the nature of the game. I stick by my comment.

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm 

They should lend one to Michel Barnier. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:56 pm 

Graham you are still missing the point, as I have said I did like the Bini and I do agree that BMW have a fantastic business model, but we are talking about aesthetics and my opinion is as valid as every one else on this forum!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm 

Did I read some place that next year we can pick up 8 sheets of 4 X 8 ply wood at the home improvement store with the new Clubman? Steve (CTR)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 am 

You can do that with a Mk1 classic, as long as its thin and flexible enough to wrap round. You can't see much out the back window and it catches a lot of windage.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian