mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 pm 

Andrew1967 wrote:

Same as the Tweed Grey pick-up. Loads of people have commented on the typical BMC commercial colour in nothing other than a positive way. Usually I would not change the colour of a vehicle but I really do think that changing from white to grey was the way to go.

I love Tweed Grey Mini's now but in 1974 I could not wait to spray my Tweed Grey 1965 C reg Mk1 Mini black and paint the red interior black to match! :lol:
My dad also had a plain grey 1964 B reg Vauxhall Victor FB for a couple of years in the mid sixties.

Have you noticed the current revival in plain (non-metallic) grey for several new cars, including the current Mk3 MINI which is now a common sight in grey........there also seems to be a trend for houses to be painted in grey with matching grey window frames......a house local to me now has grey walls, grey window frames, grey roof tiles and a matching grey MINI parked in the drive! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:50 pm 

Ex military surplus - Battleship Grey paint was all the rage several decades ago!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
Andrew1967 wrote:
Here is an example of said colour scheme Alan.

One Dad restored a few years back and went to Germany. A '64 B plate Mk2 Hornet.

Thank you Andrew for showing all of us that beautiful colour combination, it is gorgeous in my view.

Cheers

Alan

I'd have to agree that it is a lovely colour combo. The car had a superb Powder Blue interior, still had its original plastic seat covers on it from new.

Looking at the DVLA online records we sold it around 2004 to the guy in Germany, who flew over and drove her home.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm 

GrahamWRobinson wrote:
If you think about it the discussion on colours bears out the whole argument. There appears to be a general consensus that the original concept, design or whatever you want to call it, was in the vast majority of cases the best. We are concentrating on the Mini but you could say the same of the E Type Jaguar and the Ford Mustang and I guess a load of other vehicles. They were improved on technically as that is the nature of development but they weren’t necessarily improved on aesthetically. So you start with the best and the big question is where do you go from there in terms of aesthetics, or shall we say what is pleasing to the eye?
Graham

Also true in the world of New MINI's, the early R50 designed by Frank Stephenson and mostly developed by Rover is on the verge of becoming a modern classic and when you park a MK1 R50 MINI alongside the latest Mk3 F53 the Mk1 somehow looks just right and has not really dated, while the latest MINI looks less well proportioned and quite awkward from some angles....despite all that extra safety and technology the original is once again best!

I think Porsche have probably been the most successful aesthetically in evolving the Porsche 911 over the last 50 odd years.....subtly shifting with the times but without spoiling the overall design.
Evolution of 911:-
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/frankf ... sche-911#1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm 

Not a Mini, but the other day I was looking at a basic model MK1 Fiesta on a 77 S plate, loved the simplicity, large glass area etc, and so compact next to a 'new' one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 pm 

While we're on the subject of that lovely tweed grey/white Cooper combination....... A shaggy dog story coming up if this ain't the place for a sort of related post or you don't like a bit of history - or tweed grey cars, please look away now.....

In about 1977 or so I was a young in service but older than the average 'young' policeman and working the night shift from Newbury Police Station, out on my own at Thatcham. It was quite a cold night and at about half 11 or so was called to a one vehicle traffic accident at the junction of Northfield Road and Sagecroft road, close to the shops that were there (are they still there?). How on earth anyone would have an accident there was a mystery but, they had. There, over the kerb and a bit mangled was a very nice tweed grey/white Austin Cooper that'd probably missed the junction, slid along and hit the kerb. We called it 'too much bottle and not enough skill'. Anyway, something told me that I recognised the car and I told the lad as we chatted, before getting down to the nitty grity of the accident on a cold night! The car number was COV---D(?) or something very similar and in very good condition for its 10 years. Clearly the lad had a couple of drinks - but he'd written his car off so that small matter was overlooked - as you could in those simpler days. And in any case, I had one too. When I told him that I recognised the car he came clean and told me that through a friend of his dad(?) it had been in the property store of a film company for many years and had been used in a film called ROBBERY. The film Robbery was a sort-of dramatised reconstruction of another robbery that had taken place earlier, in August 1963. His dad knew the car was in the property store gathering dust and deteriorating slightly and bought it for his son for an absolute song - who was now stood alongside it. Dad came along to collect him after being dragged out of bed after an irate phone call from the shop owner and after taking all the details sufficient to record it as a damage only simple accident, the matter was closed. The car was taken away early the next morning and that was that.

The death of another lovely but semi famous Austin Cooper if you happen to drive up Northfield Road any time soon. Has anyone else seen that 60's film? Can anyone confirm the correct number?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:56 pm 

My second car was TCL 245R, a 1977 950 Fiesta, with an 1117 engine fitted.

Yep, pretty basic but was nice to have a heater that worked and demisted the screen as well. Had a foot operated screen washer pump :lol:

Started me off on many years of Ford ownership but always had a Mini, namely my '68 Mk2 Cooper.

A workmate has recently bought a basic Mk1 Fiesta to restore. So common then but so rare now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 pm 

Andrew1967 wrote:
My second car was TCL 245R, a 1977 950 Fiesta, with an 1117 engine fitted.

Yep, pretty basic but was nice to have a heater that worked and demisted the screen as well. Had a foot operated screen washer pump :lol:

Started me off on many years of Ford ownership but always had a Mini, namely my '68 Mk2 Cooper.

A workmate has recently bought a basic Mk1 Fiesta to restore. So common then but so rare now.

Yeah, as I left school and went straight to work at a Ford dealship in the 80s, I have a soft spot for early Fiestas, :o An early 1300S would be nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 am 

Peter Laidler wrote:
While we're on the subject of that lovely tweed grey/white Cooper combination....... Robbery. Has anyone else seen that 60's film? Can anyone confirm the correct number?

You mean this one? Here with Barrie Foster and Stanley Baker in it. The lead detective had a white Morris with a cooper grille and 120mph speedo but no internal Cooper trim or chrome door hoops. Registration JOF 129E

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am 

Thanks Smithy and Peter for reminding me about that film. I seen it some years ago and it is nice to look back on. It must have been made about 1967 because you don't see Mk2 Minis or Mk2 1100 / 1300 cars in it :D

Was on TV about two years ago.

Alan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next