mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 am 

Another link to Minis is that Robbery and The Italian Job were both produced by Michael Deeley.

One mini missed from Robbery is the dark green Morris, I think registration KLW 987D in which the money checker escapes from the back of the removal van (reverse Italian Job) after being 'extracted' from the prison yard.

There was also a pick up used as transport KWT 504D to and from the robbery and the scrap yard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am 

Smoke Grey, 2nd to last post, page 8 suggests that '.......GOV seems to have an 'S' speedo, could the car waiting at the crossing be GOV with a different number plate? Is JOF a proper 'Police' spec 998 Cooper??'

Could it be that the inside car shots were filmed separately, in different cars and just spliced together? Never realised the amount of Coopers in this home grown film. Maybe someone ought to research the cars used in this as they've done with the cars used in The Italian Job. Can someone who who knows about No plates can tell us if these were 'real' issued/allocated numbers or just numbers made up for filming

Smokie also mentions Police 998 Coopers too. I saw a Glacier (or Police White but not snowberry...) Mk2 Cooper that had the words POLICE SPEC written across the rear seat back in what looked like marking ink. It also had various other odds and sods that looked different. Anyone seen one of these cop Mk2 Coopers as opposed to the more plentiful cop 'S's. I believe Kent had a couple

Sorry to keep veering off thread a bit........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:31 pm 

smithyrc30 wrote:
Another link to Minis is that Robbery and The Italian Job were both produced by Michael Deeley.

One mini missed from Robbery is the dark green Morris, I think registration KLW 987D in which the money checker escapes from the back of the removal van (reverse Italian Job) after being 'extracted' from the prison yard.

There was also a pick up used as transport KWT 504D to and from the robbery and the scrap yard.

You can just see the pick-up in these two shots...

Attachment:
Robbery #184.jpg

Attachment:
Robbery #188.jpg

(The green Mini backing out of the lorry scene was shot in Ireland at the same time as the prison sequence).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 pm 

smithyrc30 wrote:

The lead detective had a white Morris with a cooper grille and 120mph speedo but no internal Cooper trim or chrome door hoops. Registration JOF 129E

I had that car - it was a factory 998 Cooper hybrid with basic 850 trim originally, loaned by BMC and most likely a Police order. It had a std MA2S4 chassis prefix but had all the Cooper running gear and bits plus the correctly cut hole for the remote. I bought the wreck of it around 1987 (coincidentally in Thatcham, near where I lived) and it had been fitted with a GRP Clubman front and was painted black. It changed hands around 10 years ago but I've not seen it since. I sold it around 1989 after I'd robbed the Wolfrace slots from it! It was a tatty heap but wasn't particularly rusty. I think I paid £300 for it from a Thames Valley Trader advert.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:55 pm 

Blimey - it's seen a tax disc in the relatively recent past:

Skip to main content
GOV.UK
Check if a vehicle is taxed and has an MOT
BETA
JOF 129E

✗ Untaxed
Tax due:
01 July 2001

Incorrect tax status?
MOT
No details held by DVLA

Incorrect MOT status?
Warning
If you've just bought this vehicle the tax or SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) doesn't come with it. You'll need to tax it before driving it.
Vehicle make: MORRIS
Date of first registration: April 1967
Year of manufacture: 1967
Cylinder capacity (cc): 998 cc
CO₂Emissions: Not available
Fuel type: PETROL
Export marker: No
Vehicle status: Not taxed
Vehicle colour: BLACK
Vehicle type approval: Not available
Wheelplan: 2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
Revenue weight: Not available

© Crown copyright

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:57 pm 

As an aside; the prison breakout was filmed in Ireland, and the KLW Mini was a Connaught green one on false plates; it would have been a locally assembled car hence the colour.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:20 pm 

Costafortune wrote:
smithyrc30 wrote:

The lead detective had a white Morris with a cooper grille and 120mph speedo but no internal Cooper trim or chrome door hoops. Registration JOF 129E

I had that car - it was a factory 998 Cooper hybrid with basic 850 trim originally, loaned by BMC and most likely a Police order. It had a std MA2S4 chassis prefix but had all the Cooper running gear and bits plus the correctly cut hole for the remote. I bought the wreck of it around 1987 (coincidentally in Thatcham, near where I lived) and it had been fitted with a GRP Clubman front and was painted black. It changed hands around 10 years ago but I've not seen it since. I sold it around 1989 after I'd robbed the Wolfrace slots from it! It was a tatty heap but wasn't particularly rusty. I think I paid £300 for it from a Thames Valley Trader advert.

Not that uncommon Costa, some people talk about factory original but as you say you know different and so do I and many others. I remember a neighbour having a very early Mk2 Cooper in Island Blue and it had the complete Mk1 Cooper interior and had no safety dash rail :)

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:44 pm 

When Robbery was made, Jaguar had just merged with BMC hence the E Type press car. It still exists I believe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9