mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:10 am 

minimans wrote:
Is there a number tag on the bulkhead/firewall behind the master cylinders? Morris had a plate there look for two parallel small screw holes

Maybe in some markets (Oz cars did) or for very early models but neither my 63S or 65 Traveller have such marks... (or holes..)

If it was a Cooper there would be boot board brackets or at least the remains of mounting points..... Holes in the rear subframe for the electric fuel pump???

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 am 

1071 S wrote:
minimans wrote:
Is there a number tag on the bulkhead/firewall behind the master cylinders? Morris had a plate there look for two parallel small screw holes

Maybe in some markets (Oz cars did) or for very early models but neither my 63S or 65 Traveller have such marks... (or holes..)

If it was a Cooper there would be boot board brackets or at least the remains of mounting points..... Holes in the rear subframe for the electric fuel pump???

Cheers, Ian

Your probably right but it won't hurt to look as he thinks it's an early shell and if its there or the holes are it will at least confirm it's a Morris.

Here it is on my 60 just behind the master cylinder pipes.
Attachment:
mini fuel line.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:39 am 

It has a boot board, still in good shape and the factory mounting brackets.

Also has the electric fuel pump.

No tag there, behind the master cylinder reservoir. I will look for holes when I get a chance.

Doesn't matter what she is really. She is a part of the family now.

Thanks for all the insights.

Somewhere I read the chassis number was stamped in the firewall or on the cross member under the carbs?
Anyone verify finding this or have pics of where they are or what they look like?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 am 

No it really doesn't matter at all, I assume it has an assigned chassis number for the registration? So that's all you really need just drive and enjoy your car.
The only place for the chassis number would have been the plate by the radiator with the FE number welded to the inner wing. I have been told that some country's required the chassis number to be stamped into the shell usually in the front foot well, I had a MKII S that was stamped like that. but USA import cars didn't as far as I know. My 1960 has the partial chassis number stamped into the bulkhead stiffener panel but I don't think that happened to all cars.

This a picture from Bills excellent 59 mini site just to show where that number is stamped if it's there.
http://1959miniregister.com/variations-numbers/
Attachment:
chassis number.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:33 pm 

Might be a dumb question....but what did they use on your paper paperwork for a vin#?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:51 pm 

Who knows!? From what I have read this isn't all uncommon here in the USA when the cars were brought over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 pm 

So you're saying that there are no numbers where it says vin# on the paperwork the government sends back to you after you pay your registration fees?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:05 pm 

Can I jump in on this please?

Where would you find a body number on a Cowley built 1967 Austin

Would it be in the Austin location or Morris?

Last edited by Mini-geek on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:06 pm 

There is a vin on the registration, but it is not for a MK1.