mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 am 

Vintage to Classic wrote:
Hi, this is my first post on here so please be gentle with the new boy!!!
Interesting post this, I was wondering if anyone on here knew of any numbers to look for on a British Built Mk1 Austin Moke? The shell looks original but it would be nice to know where to look to confirm this??
Thanks in advance!

Since English Mokes don't have FE numbers, I thought I would start a new topic with a new heading!

There should be three identification plates on an English Moke.

English Mokes had the chassis number stamped on a small metal plate that was riveted to the top of the radiator cowl. It should start with a AAB1 or MAB1 depending on whether it was an Austin or a Morris. If that is missing, you may find it still has a commission number plate or a body number plate. These were normally fitted on the inside of the right hand wing.

The commission number is a red / silver plate that starts with 15B (the ADO number for Mini derivatives, and I assume B for Buckboard) followed by a 6 digit number and ending in L. There should also be a body number welded to the inner wing. It should be found just under the lip of the o/s wing but is often well hidden under paint and the wiring loom.

There was no record kept by the factory of these body numbers so just bear in mind that if you apply to BMIHT using this number, they won't be able to help. It is further complicated because the number that they provide on the Heritage Certificate as "Body Number" is in fact the Commission Number.

Hope that helps. Roger

Last edited by Bodge on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:23 am 

its further complicated by the facts that mokes that pop up for sale / auction quite often seem to have mini van chassis numbers / v5c's

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 am 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
its further complicated by the facts that mokes that pop up for sale / auction quite often seem to have mini van chassis numbers / v5c's

... and even more complicated because anyone selling a Scamp / Mehari / kit car or chopped Metro / Fiat 127 on eBay invariably describes them as a "Moke" :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

Well, goodness me.
Thank you for your input.
There was a bit of fishing going on here. Let me explain. Seventeen years ago I bought an English Moke. This was a local car and I remembered seeing it as a teenager dumped behind a local car dealer and never thought that I’d get the chance to buy it fourteeen years later!!! (You can almost work out my age now!)
The restoration of the car is now nearing completion, it hasn’t taken me all this time as other cars have come and gone between times.
I have looked at the shell, I have a plate on the radiator cowl, oval in shape. The number starts A-ABI.
I also have a square plate, on the drivers side inner wing that is upside down. This starts 15B and the last three digits relate to the body number as given by BMHT
There is no commission plate.

Shortly after I got the car I got the heritage certificate, Austin Moke, 1964, supplied new in Durham.
The V5 shows the correct numbers, but has a 1966 registration date, as well as being listed as Morris!
The weight, is down at 3499kg, with engine at 850cc.
Question is, how do I correct the V5??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:06 pm 

Order up a heritage certificate from Gaydon (edit- sorry, I see you have that already) and get someone in the Moke club to write a letter to DVLA addressing the various points to correct the transcription errors on the DVLA system

Might fix it, might make matters worse........ 8-)

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:13 pm 

but has a 1966 registration date, as well as being listed as Morris!
The weight, is down at 3499kg, with engine at 850cc.

it may well be that the moke wasnt registered for the road until 1966, it may have been used on a private estate or imported prior to this

the weight may be soemthing to do with it been a comercial vehicle, will it be the gross weight, it may have been done for some sort of mot exemption / recovery purpose, there was all sorts of things that went on like this back in the day.

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:13 pm 

I also have a square plate, on the drivers side inner wing that is upside down. This starts 15B and the last three digits relate to the body number as given by BMHT
There is no commission plate.

If this plate is held in place with two rivets and has a red coloured border, then this is the commission number. In the BMIHT archives, this is incorrectly recorded as the body number and every Heritage Certificate perpetuates this mistake. If you have a body number, this will be positioned just below the top of the wing above the commission number. This plate is spot welded in place an is often hidden by the wiring loom. There was no record of these numbers kept by the factory.

Shortly after I got the car I got the heritage certificate, Austin Moke, 1964, supplied new in Durham.
The V5 shows the correct numbers, but has a 1966 registration date, as well as being listed as Morris!

I agree with Rich and have come across this before. When it was first launched, the Moke wasn't that popular and it is most likely that it wasn't registered (or even sold!) for a while. The mistake with the Austin / Morris designation may also be simply due to a mistake by the dealer supplying the car. Does the Moke still have the original Austin front badge and horn push?

If it was me, I might try and get the manufacturer details changed by the DVLA but leave everything else as it is. If you go down the route of getting the registration year changed, you will not only lose the regional identification with an age related plate but also part of your Moke's unique history.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm 

Bodge wrote:
you will not only lose the regional identification with an age related plate but also part of your Moke's unique history.

ive mentioned this story before, but my dad has a 1930s speed 25 alvis

when he got it 30 years ago it was on a 1978 's' plate, when he wrote to them and asked them to sort it out they 'very kindly' reregistered it as a 1963 on an 'a' plate.... :lol:

he gave up after that and left it, its been on it ever since, now its just part of the car and its history, i doubt we will ever get round to changing it, the alvis club are fairly confident that they could sort it so that it would at least get a early plate, but as its had the wrong plate for longer than the right plate its almost a shame to change it now and loose the tale that goes with it.

it does explain why i hate 1963 cars that have the 'a' suffix on them though :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm 

I think you are correct how to approach the DVLA. I could leave it as it is, but the manufacturer really should be corrected!
Back to the car. Yes. It is badged as Austin with Austin horn push.
The only plates on the car are the chassis number on the radiator panel and the one on the top part of the drivers side inner wing that is square, spot welded on, with big reverse stamped digits starting 15B and ending in N.
There are no other badges or plates and no other holes for any.

I was told that the car was sold new to a titled owner who took the car to his villa in Spain, bringing it back two years later to use on his estate here before selling to another titled owner. The last owner (who is a Sir) has a lot of companies and the Moke was registered to one of these companies.

The plot then thickens as I had a conversation with a local gent who told me that his friend has a Moke that was originally owned by the same original owner as mine.
Did he have two?
Is one of us wrong?
Who is right?

Certainly the fact that my car wasn’t registered until two years later would give credibility, but it wasn’t registered locally....