mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Standard or Modified
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 pm 

When I bought my S some time ago the previous owner had had some engine modifications done, large valve head, twin 1.5 carbs with trumpets and a fast road camshaft of unknown origin. These changes resulted in a very quick road car with lots of torque and lots of noise.I have enjoyed the extra performance but am now considering having these items removed and replaced with standard components. The cost of buying the parts and having them fitted is not inconsiderable but one of the significant benefits should be in having a more enjoyable car to drive.
I feel that the other major benefit could well be in having a more valuable and desirable car in the event of a future sale but do members agree that putting a car back to a standard specification nearly always result in a higher valuation. All views and opinions will be welcomed.

Post subject: Re: Standard or Modified
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 pm 

Personally I find cars with period modifications very interesting, to me it doesn't hurt their value (in some cases it increases it) standard cars are also interesting, best of both worlds, just keep the standard parts (or in your case the modified ones if you change them) then you have the option to change back if you want to (or have standard and modified cars, though that does get expensive :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:59 pm 

Some nice mods listed which don't have to result in an increase noise if you make a few changes to the current set up, can't see why they would affect value as easily converted back to standard and many would see such mods as a bonus and/or in period mod. It will be a sad day when every S at a show or event is exactly to standard showroom spec........It was not like that back in the day!

Last edited by mab01uk on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:02 pm 

I tend to prefer stock in most cases, but anything visible that is a bolt-on period modification is a nice touch.

Any invisible performance mods really should benefit the drive, in my opinion. If it's much faster, but too noisy to enjoy on the road, I'd take it back to stock.

If you're concerned with value, then it would be well worth the investment to source the correct head, carbs and camshaft. Most potential buyers want an S with all of the "S-specific" bits present and functional. At least that's what the bigger sales in the past couple years have proven.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 pm 

I’m building my mk2 cooper with ‘period’ mods. I’m 62 and spent my youth messing about with minis .. an ‘s’ was a dream . There was no such thing as an unmodified mini!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm 

Johnv

Exactly, beat me to it!

Minis are the modded car. As a lad I could not wait for CCC to come out for the next DV article. It's most if not all of the fun for me, but it must be period and A series!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 am 

Sounds like the noise is your biggest issue....

You could look at getting a different air filter and exhaust options, not massively expensive or difficult to fit. Some good sound deadening material also helps.

Cheapskate option (this is what I did when running a modified car for prolonged drives) earplugs!

I don't think most bolt on mods are a problem in terms of effecting the value, too much. Lots have minis have and will continue to be modified.

I can see it being a problem if something like a bike or non mini engine is fitted or if major bodywork mods have been done. Otherwise everything else can normally be resolved should the new owner want a more standard car.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:03 pm 

Agree 100% with Highnumbers, post 4. The big auctioneers will tell you, and have told us time and time and time again - that buyers want originality and originals are undoubtedly the best sellers. They also tell us that it is very rare that an auction buyer wants anything but an original car. And if he wants to modify it to relive his lost youth then HE can modify it to suit. The chances of him finding one that exactly suits his lost youth taste are so remote........... But he can suit himself if he's got an original or close-to original to start with. An auctioneer who lives here with a nice collection of classics says that the non originals will sell of course but you've got to see the price reflected in its non originality.

Mind you............... He does struggle when the question of those ex Police cars and GPO, SEB, TELECOM etc etc cars and vans turn up.........

Not quite comparing like with like, but non standards are almost toxic in the classic motor cycle scene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:36 pm 

IslandBlue66 wrote:
Sounds like the noise is your biggest issue.... You could look at getting a different air filter and exhaust options, not massively expensive or difficult to fit. Some good sound deadening material also helps.

Agree, air filters can do wonders to lower the engine noise on a Mini. I switched my Mk1 S over from twin K&N pancakes to a standard Coopers twin airbox. The airbox intake/duct points down near the exhaust manifold so the sucking noise is no longer immediately behind the speedo...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 pm 

Thanks to all the members who took the trouble to give their opinion and as I expected there was no unanimous opinion either way. Apart from a camshaft I had already sourced the other parts to convert my car back to a more standard specification.
Some more thinking time necessary!
PS anyone know where to obtain a good used AEG542 camshaft